Super 27 maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A small flexible vacuum hose? Did you get some crud down there when you swept? I helped my neighbor sweep his and we stuffed a rag in it to prevent creosote from dropping in there. Also be advised there is a small gasket that sits on top of it between the baffle and manifold that probably needs to be replaced. I know my neighbors had to be replaced. The local hearth shop gave us a couple for free.

Unless you took it apart and dropped stuff down into that tube it does not need to be cleaned. Only fresh air comes up through the tube to feed the secondary air system.

Is there an easy way to clean out the tube that comes up at the back of the stove to feed air to the baffle?
How old is the Super? Is it pre-2019 or a newer LE model?

The older Supers have a linked secondary where there is a blade valve at the bottom of the tube. Usually, moving the air control a few time between high and low will shake out most crud. If not, tape a 1/2" piece of hose onto the shop vac to suck out accumulated soot. The newer LE units have the EBT2 feeding the secondary supply tube. If a lot of crud falls down the tube it may block secondary air. In that case, the EBT should be removed, cleaned, and replaced.

A small flexible vacuum hose? Did you get some crud down there when you swept? I helped my neighbor sweep his and we stuffed a rag in it to prevent creosote from dropping in there. Also be advised there is a small gasket that sits on top of it between the baffle and manifold that probably needs to be replaced. I know my neighbors had to be replaced. The local hearth shop gave us a couple for free.
Yes, I forgot the plug the hole when sweeping. Already have the new gaskets in stock. Thanks!

How old is the Super? Is it pre-2019 or a newer LE model?

The older Supers have a linked secondary where there is a blade valve at the bottom of the tube. Usually, moving the air control a few time between high and low will shake out most crud. If not, tape a 1/2" piece of hose onto the shop vac to suck out accumulated soot. The newer LE units have the EBT2 feeding the secondary supply tube. If a lot of crud falls down the tube it may block secondary air. In that case, the EBT should be removed, cleaned, and replaced.
Hmm it was installed 2014, do they come apart at the bottom somewhere where this blade valve is? Owner's manual doesn't mention it.

Hmm it was installed 2014, do they come apart at the bottom somewhere where this blade valve is? Owner's manual doesn't mention it.
It's probably fine then. 2014 was pre-EBT. Pull the ash pan out and move the air control from open to closed a few times. You may see a small amount of soot toward the back. If you want to see the valve itself, take a mirror to look at the underside of the firebox.

Last edited:
Reactions: OllieD28