Super Cedars from Northwestern Fuels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soupy made that video and later found he really didn't need to do that if my memory is right.

For us, while still in the wrapper I simply break them in half with my two hands, turn them and break them again. Then open the package just enough to get 1/4 out and the rest is easy. Sometimes my breaks won't give exact quarter size but that is okay. The fires start really well with them. Thanks Thomas.

I just used a kitchen knife on my cutting board. They cut nicely and some hot soapy water cleans the knife up. I just used one for the first time (actually 1/4 of one) to get my fire going. They work really well. I'll be taking them ice fishing, camping, keep a couple in the truck for an emergency and I think they will make great gifts. I really like them. Made in America, too. Awesome

They do make great gifts. If you want to have some fun, put one in (on) water and light it.

Backwoods Savage said:
They do make great gifts. If you want to have some fun, put one in (on) water and light it.

Truth is they really are waterproof and a good part of a survival kit.. One other thing I like in moderation is the EcoLogs they work really well and plan on using them for camping in July as they will not violate the firewood ban, cost little and should make a decent campfire...

Ray

Right on Ray.

Backwoods Savage said:
Right on Ray.

Have you tried the EcoLogs Dennis? I have never used more than 2 at one time but they do burn well and at $2.99 for a 25 lb. 8 pack they're a pretty good deal..

Ray

Ray, with all the wood we have I just can't see getting any EcoLogs.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, with all the wood we have I just can't see getting any EcoLogs.

Plenty here too just had to try them for $2.99! :)

Ray

I have never used these, but they are on my X-mas list. They seemed a little pricey before I understood what they are. Glad to know everyone thinks so highly of them. and the trick with scoring them in the package....then breaking them into fourths means that package should last a long time. It's not everyday that you will need one.

Ordered my free sample and I swear before I even hit enter on the email, they were at the door.. ;-)

Seriously, quick email saying thank you and two at my door in like two day. Great company, great product.

i have to restart my fire every day (small insert) but i find the best way to quarter the SCs are in a gallon sized Ziploc - it contains any shavings that may come apart

Huntindog1 said:
Anymore Ideas on quartering them?

Thanks Again!!!

I just break mine by hand. It can be a little messy, but it is quick and easy.

After Dennis chided me and my weak girly man hands for using a chop saw to cut up my Super Cedars into quarters I started breaking them into quarters by using the edge of my woodbox . . . since they stay in the plastic there is no mess . . .

firefighterjake said:
After Dennis chided me and my weak girly man hands for using a chop saw to cut up my Super Cedars into quarters I started breaking them into quarters by using the edge of my woodbox . . . since they stay in the plastic there is no mess . . .
Surely you jest.... Oh I know you were into production, cutting 3 at a time right.... tell me I'm right. :-S

WoodpileOCD said:
firefighterjake said:
Surely you jest.... Oh I know you were into production, cutting 3 at a time right.... tell me I'm right. :-S

Sadly . . . no. On the flip side they had very neat, clean lines where I cut them.

A former member of this forum wrote on his blog for "us ladies" to microwave the pucks a few seconds and then they can be easily cut. I haven't tried that method because my wife finished them all while I was out for work last month.

Wood Duck said:
Huntindog1 said:
Anymore Ideas on quartering them?

Thanks Again!!!

I just break mine by hand. It can be a little messy, but it is quick and easy.

I break them in half, then quarters inside the firebox so that any crumbs fall on the kindling. They snap in half pretty easily. Just use the force Luke.

I just push them against the edge of the counter top one way to half them and turn it and do it again to quarter it. Then snip the plastic holding them over the coffee canister I store them in and drop'em in.

And the on those mornings when I have a few coals but want that sucker cranking faster I reach in the bottom of that canister and grab a hand full of that pixie dust and toss it between the splits and magic happens.

Of all the tasks involved with providing wood-fired heat to my home, figuring out how to get SuperCedars into quarters doesn't even show up on the radar. %-P (And yes, I light my shop stove from cold every morning during the season...because I don't spend the night out there.)

But Rick you have been to Knife and Fork School.

What a former Navy Captain lady that worked for me called OCS. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.