Supervent wall support kit question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zamfir

Hello, I recently purchased a Selkirk wall support kit for my thru the wall basement install, plus seven chimney sections, 3 feet each for 21 feet straight up. This is for my Englander nc 30 (thanks again begreen for help with selection.)
I can't seem to find where I read it but somewhere in the product description page it says "for optimum performance consider adding a 12 inch piece of straight pipe UNDERNEATH the insulated tee and wall support bracket"
My question is, in what way does this improve performance. Does it just make it easier to clean or does it actually help the draft, or what. To me it just seems like an extra foot too clean...plus I would have to bend over farther to clean from the bottom...lol...and also, the chimney is plenty expensive already, if there is a tangible reason for this then I don't mind paying for it......thanks for your time.

I think the added 1ft section below the tee is added incase creosote falls down the main class a pipe it will collect below the t and not build up in the t reducing / restricting air flow.

I have another quick related question, I apologize if this should have been a new thread.
My wall support bracket will be attached to the outide of my basement which is cinder block wall. The Selkirk manual states to use eight #10 wood screws 2 inch length, but it doesn't state what to use for block wall, except it says use appropriate fasteners.
Since I have never used any masonry screws I would like any recommendations for what exact screws to use for block wall...do I use self tapping with plastic anchors...do I need. A masonry bit, ..I would be purchasing these at lowes.

Tap-cons and a masonry bit is all you need. You could use lead wedge anchors or something similar. Either way you need a masonry bit and a hammer drill.