Supplier blacklist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cogger

Oct 10, 2006
www.facebook.com
I am looking for a blacklist of bad firewood suppliers. The ones to stay away from. The idiot I ordered from last Aug. has not made a delivery date as promissed after 3 other calls since then. Has one excuse after another, New supplier as well in my area. Just thought I'd try him out but does not seem promising. Thankfully I have not paid yet but it's getting chilly

I'm getting the impression from reading many of the posts here that the suppliers up in your part of the country have been pretty much overwhelmed. It doesn't make for a good prognosis: high prices, lack of inventory, and somewhat late in the year to buy seasoned wood. Hopefully, the weather this winter will be easier on you guys than last.

Drive by their place before making an order. You can pretty much tell from his operation and inventory if they are a fly by night or are in it for the long haul.
My delivery list right now is 6 weeks out. It is late in the year and even with a reliable supplier you'll need to have patience. Place an order next spring and you'll be sure to have it by fall.

Ordering in August is late, demand seems to be higher this year than last.
It is also a good idea to have a relationship with at least 3 suppliers too.

I think some people don't realize the waiting list to get wood. So when they call and can't get wood right away they get mad or
think they're getting the run around. Not saying that is what is happening here. But for a few months now I've been reading
how backed up these guys are.

I understand the early order and wait system and how it works. But When I am told "ok, see you next week" 3 times over there is a management problem. Bad business for them. Especially a new supplier.

RingOfFire said:
I understand the early order and wait system and how it works. But When I am told "ok, see you next week" 3 times over there is a management problem. Bad business for them. Especially a new supplier.

Time to stop whining Phil, and get out of the Poker chair. %-P
It's late but you can scrounge, beg, search, ask, hump some wood....if you want it. There's no part of North America where there is no firewood available (double negative for you grammar nazis). Kind of poor planning ?
Do some homework for species and good dead wood that can be burnt without seasoning. Saw, maul, gloves, trunk, real work.
Like Poker players, some wood suppliers are good, some not so....and some may have too much business to bother. It's their and your choice. :bug: Think: the firewood business is tough work, low margins, dangerous.....and whiny customers who wait, and wait, and wait.......

Status
Not open for further replies.