surdiac to fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper698

Hearth Supporter
Feb 25, 2007
I am going to install a surdiac coal stove to my existing fireplace. The chimney runs through the
center of the house, so there is no exterior exposed to cold. Should I use the s/s liner rite out of
the back of the stove straight up to the top of the chimney? I plan on making a steel plate and cutting a
a 6" hole in it and running the flex through that first. This will replace the flu opening so as there will be no heat loss
up through the chimney.

chopper698 said:
I am going to install a surdiac coal stove to my existing fireplace. The chimney runs through the
center of the house, so there is no exterior exposed to cold. Should I use the s/s liner rite out of
the back of the stove straight up to the top of the chimney? I plan on making a steel plate and cutting a
a 6" hole in it and running the flex through that first. This will replace the flu opening so as there will be no heat loss
up through the chimney.

Make sure you use the 316 stainless and not the 304. 316 is for solids including coal, 304 is not coal friendly.

chopper698 said:
up through the chimney.

Humm, sound like a great install. With the infamous block off plate already planned. No vutures on this one guys. I agree with the 316 especially.

Does your surdiac have a 6" flue, or is it a 5" or smaller - most older ones had the smaller flue, although some came with adapters.

If your chimney is interior and warm you might get by with not lining the chimney all the way up - the advantage of this is that clay liners will hold up to coal as well or better than stainless steel. At minimum you want to use flex or rigid up to the first flue liner.

BUT, it may be that the large fireplace flue does not allow the stove to draft hard enough, and coal stoves do need a good draft to operate properly. Is the chimney two story? Does it draft really well with wood?

Hog is correct about using the 316 grade of stainless - make certain the ss you get has a real warranty that also covers coal. Read it carefully.

It has a 6" flu on the stove. When I use to use the fireplace the draft was excellent.
It almost sounded like thunder when you lit a fire in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.