Sure going to feel guilty burning these.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Black walnut rounds nice size, the guilt trip will be overwhelming.

wood1.jpg wood2.jpg

Yeah, I hear you.

Several years ago when I burned wood at my old house in a wood furnace, I got a huge log from an old copper beech tree that was probably 4' in diameter. When I cut and split it up, it was the most beautiful wood I had ever seen. It burned great, but man, I felt guilty with every split I put in the furnace.

Some pieces were so beautiful, I couldn't burn them and set them aside intending to carve bowls or something out of them. Never got around to doing it and the wood ended up rotting.

I burn lots of black walnut. The wood shed is just full of it. Easy to split and lights pretty easily it makes good firewood. Let others make furniture I make heat.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Maybe you could do something with some of that wood that you feel pangs of not wanting to burn..Yea I had projects like that where you save something for later and never get back to it ---then you get on a "clearing" urge and get rid of it all..lol. I can understand when you can see the beauty of the wood and just know you could make something out of it...Heck start by making just beautiful slats of wood or something like they have those heavy stone slabs that they line up and sell...lol I know the feeling solarguy---really put your mind on it and the "how to do it phrase" that will keep you occupied (like if you need to be),,,thanks for sharing...clancey

True story.
A friend Tony is dating another friend Alison and it was Tony’s first Christmas at her family’s house around the corner from where I grew up. Somebody says let’s have a fire so Tony jumps into action to get one started.
Back then parents (mine included) obtained those white birch logs as some sort of wedding ritual. Tony burned them.

They have been married now for at least 35 years.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Its a wonder it last 35 years..lol terrible and talking about keepsakes not keeping--but funny as well..enjoyed the story,,clancey