Surface rust on Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I did some renovations this winter and while doing so I covered the wood stove with a moving blanket to keep dust and thinset from getting on it. I didn't think much of it other than I was "protecting" the stove. Well I'm done demo and finished with the tile in that area so today I uncovered it and saw some rust. It's just surface rust but is obviously unsightly.

Looking for the best way to resolve this.

I'm thinking of taking it outside and media blasting it then repainting. Just not sure what to use to blast it with. Also need to buy a sand blasting gun as well.

Any idea what would be best to hit it with? Sand, nut shells, glass beads. I've never done this before but want to get it resolved.

Might actually go with the Jotul gloss paint too. Not sure yet.

Any ideas are accepted.

20230318_170307.jpg 20230318_170314.jpg 20230318_170324.jpg

IMHO its not that bad, I would hit it with a wire brush and spray it with high temperature paint. Just remember if you repaint it, you need to burn off the fumes from the paint preferably by setting up a temporary stack and firing it off a few times outdoors.

Reactions: phatdonkey
This is a very good point about a fresh burn outside again. That didn't even cross my mind. I used 2 sections of 6 inch duct work for the first 3 burns. I'll definitely do that again. Thanks.

How old is the stove? My thinking is if painting does it need a rebuild too?

There definitely is no need to media blast it. Just wirebrush it down, wipe with alcohol, then paint with the Jotul recommended paint.