Surge outlet behind insert question!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deercamp

Jan 3, 2013
se mass
I finally picked up my Harman 52i insert the other day. My plan is to put an outlet behind the stove so that
we don't have to see the cord going acrosss the hearth. Harman suggest using either the Tripp internet 750 or the APC BE750G which get plugged into an outlet of course. Is there something like this that I could just hardwire from the panel and plug the stove directly into or should I just wire up a regular outlet and plug the surge protector into that?
My cousin who will be helping me with the wiring was wondering if it would make sense to put a surge breaker on the panel for the stove instead of a surge protector behind it. We put in a small panel a few years ago when we put in central air so there is plenty of room in the panel for the stove to have it's own dedicated breaker. He was saying this way here if we lose power (which we rarely ever do) that I wouldn't have to pull out the stove to reset the surge protector that I could just do it at the panel in the basement. If you think this is a better option and can recommend some sort of surge breaker that would work for this that would be great. Any other ideas are welcomed also for this project except putting a bucket in front of the power cord on the hearth.
She said they don't show a cord on the brochure doing that. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with that,just get a high quality one.They also make very good high quality ones that mount next to a panel.Quality is the key.

Both of those models are battery backup UPS, not surge suppressors... while a UPS is a great idea for a pellet stove, I would be a bit nervous putting a rechargeable battery into the enclosed space behind an insert. A lead-acid battery can give off flammable hydrogen gas.

Check the accessability codes in your state. It might be illegal to bury an outlet behind the stove.

I finally picked up my Harman 52i insert the other day. My plan is to put an outlet behind the stove so that
we don't have to see the cord going acrosss the hearth. Harman suggest using either the Tripp internet 750 or the APC BE750G which get plugged into an outlet of course. Is there something like this that I could just hardwire from the panel and plug the stove directly into or should I just wire up a regular outlet and plug the surge protector into that?
My cousin who will be helping me with the wiring was wondering if it would make sense to put a surge breaker on the panel for the stove instead of a surge protector behind it. We put in a small panel a few years ago when we put in central air so there is plenty of room in the panel for the stove to have it's own dedicated breaker. He was saying this way here if we lose power (which we rarely ever do) that I wouldn't have to pull out the stove to reset the surge protector that I could just do it at the panel in the basement. If you think this is a better option and can recommend some sort of surge breaker that would work for this that would be great. Any other ideas are welcomed also for this project except putting a bucket in front of the power cord on the hearth.
She said they don't show a cord on the brochure doing that. :rolleyes:
Those are not just surge protectors, but also UPSes. You can put a whole house surge protector on your breaker panel. I have one. It's an Intertek or something like that. $100+. Easy to wire. I'm not really sure there's an easy way to put a UPS behind an insert, and have easy access to it without pulling the panel.

Both of those models are battery backup UPS, not surge suppressors... while a UPS is a great idea for a pellet stove, I would be a bit nervous putting a rechargeable battery into the enclosed space behind an insert. A lead-acid battery can give off flammable hydrogen gas.

True I never gave that any thought.
So that is one option that I will not be doing.

Here is what I did. I installed an outlet in the basement below the stove. Into that outlet I plug the UPS. Then I installed an outlet behind the insert. I ran the romex down to the UPS and put a plug on the end and plugged it into the UPS. If the UPS craps out for some reason I can just unplug it and plug it into the outlet.

You do not want a rechargeable lead- acid batter near the stove. It gives off hydrogen while recharging. If you want an example of what hydrogen can do, google the Hindenberg. I have a UPS with a pair of 90AH marine batteries on my stove but they in a completely separate room below the stove.

Here is what I did. I installed an outlet in the basement below the stove. Into that outlet I plug the UPS. Then I installed an outlet behind the insert. I ran the romex down to the UPS and put a plug on the end and plugged it into the UPS. If the UPS craps out for some reason I can just unplug it and plug it into the outlet.

Ok I am pretty sure that I understand what you did. So when you plug the stove into the outlet behind the stove
that outlet is kind of acting like an extension of the power cord going to the UPS. Did I get that right? What type
of UPS did you use? Ty

That's what I did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.