Suspended/Hanging Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard Pryor

Mar 6, 2017
Oregon
Are these legal in the USA? Wife wants something a little more modern than a traditional-looking wood stove and sent me a couple of links. All of them are from the UK. Did a search on the forum and nothing came up so I'm guessing these are either really inefficient or won't pass code.

Here is an example:

6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is wild looking! Never seen anything like it, it looks like a UFO.

Got that modern-Euro look. Suspended by the pipe. I don't know if it would pass code but if it works in Europe it should work here. Good luck finding a wood stove store that would do that install.

Looks like some of the models are only 33% efficient. The one I could find closest to that was 33% efficient and missing the front door. It won't heat your house and probably isn't up to code or insurance standards. The only place to buy in the USA is in Salem Mass.

I don't know how you would suspend it from the ceiling unless they're made from thin aluminum and very lightweight.

https://www.focus-fireplaces.com/domofocus

I would not call that a stove. A stove features an air control that stops air from blasting through unimpeded. That thing appears to just have a door to shut after you're done cooling down the house with your big vent and tiny fire.

The whole point of a stove was originally to get more heat in the room and slow down the massive air exchange caused by open fireplaces.

"Decorative Wood Powered Air Conditioner", maybe.

Looking groovy baby.

Attachments

• Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers.jpg
    Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 128
Decorative Wood Powered Air Conditioner

Good one.

1968 design. It's more of a novelty fireplace than a stove. Is the goal heat or looks?