Swapping ZC open fireplace for epa cert wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyjrobinson

Dec 2, 2008
Southern NH
Guys,

I need you help to understand if the following is possible. Today, we have a cheap lennox ZC wood unit that doesnt' output alot of heat, but eats wood and sucks the air out of our house. So we want to put an epa wood stove in it place. We had wanted to fit a Kozyheat Z42, but it seems like the depth of our chase is too shallow, and I'm struggling to find alternatives ZC units, and it seems people generally think stoves throw out more heat anyway.

So I have some questions about doing this, mainly to do with clearance and non-combustable surroundings.

1.) Obviously removing the ZC unit will leave exposed framing (about a 42" wide, 24" deep hole), and I'm assuming I would not then be able to just drywall this space because drywall wouldn't be classed as non-combusable. But given the clearances, could I tile or brick (backed by cement board) the surrounding hole into which the rear 3/4 of the stove would sit? Are there then clearances I still have to adhere to - I'm assuming so.

2.) The ZC unit today sits flush with the wall, and on the same wall either side are windows (about 10" away from the ZC unit). As these windows are on the same wall as the fireplace, and a wood store requires greater clearances, does this cause a problem. From looking at stove install guides, it would seem not to be an issue unless these windows were on a side wall.

3.) As the stove would be 3/4 recessed into the wall, I assume I'm best having a blower fitted into the stove.

Thanks,

Danny

need pics.. but it sounds like you are making an alcove setup, which requires greater clearances to the stove, even with a "noncombustible" surface

replace with a EPA stove/fp, like a Quad 7100. May have to fram a little into the room, but well worth it. Those tight dimensions will be a very difficult alcove set up

Thanks Guys, clearances are my biggest worry so if I can find a EPA ZC unit that fits it would definately be easier.

Looking quickly, I think the Quad 7100 may fit, it seems slightly smaller than the Kozyheat. So I'll ask my installer to investigate this. I think from reading other posts on this forum that people quite like the Quad.

BIS Ultima / Lennox Brentwood will fit in there, and possibly some of their larger models. That's what I replaced my prefab with.

I'll go ahead and bite on this one and point out a few things that came to my mind.
1. You will need a new chimney. This isn't 100% fact, but mostly the case because most prefab fireplaces have chimneys not rated for wood stove use.
2. Your stove will be sticking out 3 feet or so into the room from where you want the chimney to be.
3. It's a good idea to build up a little hearth area for this stove. You can find millions of ideas from the gallery. You'll need it below and on the wall too (depending on your clearances). Not only that but it looks nicer IMO.
4. It's going to be expensive. Figure the stove will probably equal 1/3 of your purchase with the other 1/3 going to your chimney and the rest to the hearth.
5. If your going through all this trouble don't skimp, you'll be happy you went ahead and splurged and got the bigger/better models. $1000 extra isn't much over 20 years worth of happiness.
6. Make sure your wood is dry.
7. Yes it will be worth it in the end.... You'll have to change your handle to something warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.