Sweet! More Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
What's better than finding $5 bucks in those jeans you haven't wore in a while? Finding 3 18 gal bins full of seasoned sugar maple among some drying spruce stacks! Gonna save this for the single digits/power outage.

Very sweet indeed.

Reactions: Snigg
As Def Leppard once sang:

"Pour Some Sugar Maple on me, come on fire me up";lol

Err,, something like that.:cool:

I've only been fortunate enough to get Sugar Maple here on a few occasions but man did it burn nice.......

I have the hardest time iding sugar maple. Seems the bark has a lot of variations.

Great stuff. Smart to hoard it awhile. It burns so nice.
I have two stacks 1 year in. Can't wait for that one.

Nice surprise! Cheers!

I have the hardest time iding sugar maple. Seems the bark has a lot of variations.

Maples are a lot easier to id from the leaves and seeds. Seeds being the easiest, red/silver make helicopters in the spring, sugar in late summer fall. I found that once I got that down and was iding them in the spring/fall I began to be able to tell them apart by bark.

I've never burned any but have 1 1/2 cords that have been drying since last Feb, I'll find out next year just how sweet it is.

I've never burned any but have 1 1/2 cords that have been drying since last Feb, I'll find out next year just how sweet it is.

Have you tried some? It's probably good to go now. Doesn't take nearly as long as oak. Then again if you've got plenty of seasoned wood, I'm sure it'll be even better next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.