"SweetGum"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnn

Dec 8, 2008
so.Ill
Anyone have knowledge on the sweetgum trees splitting and burning characteristics

They need to be splitt or they go punky fast. Burns good other wise
I've been burning a lot for the last couple years. I had over 5 cords of it.

Wood Fox said:
They need to be splitt or they go punky fast. Burns good other wise
I've been burning a lot for the last couple years. I had over 5 cords of it.
May be too late! I think he`s had them on the ground for two years.
Good things to know,,,thank you

if they've been on the ground for 2 years there is probably not much left to them at all. we had one fall and sit on the ground for one year and it was total punk.

the wood is REALLY heavy green and has lots of water, be sure to dry it outside unless your shed is really open because it will mold if it can't dry out well.

oh yeah,

haha, about splitting, haha. it doesnt split, it tears. it splits best green. if you let the blocks dry before you try to split them with a maul, good luck. splits fine with a log splitter, but still tears and you have to pull the pieces apart.

I cut these down for him and at the time he wanted the trunks,,,TALK about water,,,It seemed like when I got so deep a quart or more of water came flooding out,(sure seemed like that much) I grew up with a couple of them and a lawn mower really launched those sweet gum balls,,,they also made for pretty good throwing at the enemy when you ran out of BB`s. The things kids do!!

I had some sweet gum a while back which sat in 18" rounds for about a year. I could NOT split it with the super-splitter maul OR wedges. When I finally rented the log splitter, most of it tore (like Flint said) rather than split. Burned nice 'tho. I didn't have any prob w/ it goin' punky, but that was 'cuz (1) So. Calif. is mainly hot and dry, and (2) they were sitting on concrete, not dirt.

Once they finished seasoning, I was able to resplit some of the larger peices with the maul, but it wasn't particurally easy.

I'm so glad we don't have any of those in our yard. Nice enough trees, good shade, but them "gumballs" make barefoot in the yard rather a b***ch.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.