Switching antique mantles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yhzinpdx

Mar 29, 2010
Portland OR
For no good reason we're planning on switching the following mantles in a 100 year old house. Any tips/advice, ideas re:cost? I've also been told by our inspector that there's no way we'll ever be allowed to burn wood in this fireplace and even propane would be a stretch. I guess the chimney is just brick inside, and he's worried the CO will just pass into the house...

This is what's there:

Picture30.png

This is what we'd like to install (it's currently disassembled and marble):

fp11.png

That first mantle is beautiful! Look at those rays! I don't think I'd be able to take that down in good consious.

But if I had to, I think I'd sacrifice some plaster around it and chip away a spot large enough to get a sawzall blade behind it. Hopefully you can cut away all the nails holding it in.

That mantle is beautiful.

Are you sure you want to take it out?

Matt

Maybe take the partner and go and look at some Valor gas stoves and inserts to see if there is a practical solution without destruction. The stove can be vented to a liner up the chimney to assure that there is nothing vented into the room(s). You might even have room for a little Valor President freestanding in the wooden mantle fireplace.

Attachments

• valor windsor2.jpg
    valor windsor2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 182
  • valor windsor.jpg
    valor windsor.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 175
  • valor_pres_fs.jpg
    valor_pres_fs.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 187
Thanks BeGreen, those first two are beautiful fireplaces. I haven't actually seen the house yet so will have to get a better idea about why the inspector felt there couldn't be a fire in the hearth when I'm onsite. My impression was that the flu wasn't lined and that the chimney twists through the house 90 degrees which might not allow for an insurable liner...

cheers,
Alex

I like the wood one as well! But those are little coal burning fireplaces. That's probably why you aren't supposed to burn wood in there, it's not particularly large or deep. If you are keen to burn wood maybe you could get a nice smaller stove with a back flue and take it back and then up with a liner.

Thanks, I'm sure you're right. To be honest, I think my wife would like to burn a few wood logs a year in there and I can't figure out how to be able to do that on the cheap. I think those three logs are going to cost a small fortune by the time we're done, especially if they burn the house down because they're in a coal fireplace;)

yhzinpdx said:
Thanks BeGreen, those first two are beautiful fireplaces. I haven't actually seen the house yet so will have to get a better idea about why the inspector felt there couldn't be a fire in the hearth when I'm onsite. My impression was that the flu wasn't lined and that the chimney twists through the house 90 degrees which might not allow for an insurable liner...

cheers,
Alex

Gas liner will be much slimmer than for wood. If this is in the city, a gas stove could be just the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.