SWMBO has decided

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
So, the first choice was a PE Summit Classic, with the radiant brass door design... so we priced one out and she said "HOW much money?"

So now we've settled on the NC30 with a brushed nickel door kit. Mrs. Blue is OK with a 6-hour burn time and is willing to learn about fire-building to do it.

So now my challenge is to find that $649 NC30... she is out there, somewhere...

Well congrats on figuring out which stove you wanted, the NC30 is a great stove. You should expect alot more than a 6 hour burn time out of that thing though it will easily go all night with the proper fuel heck my T6 which is smaller will easily go 10-12 hours.

I'm happy with mine. They are a solid unit.

Good luck finding one w/ a nickel door and only having 650 invested! If you find one, share your source!

pen

Congrats, the stove should serve you well just like many others here.

pen said:
I'm happy with mine. They are a solid unit.

Good luck finding one w/ a nickel door and only having 650 invested! If you find one, share your source!

pen

Nah... I'll buy a black door and add the nickel kit when I find $350 lying in the street.

Good call on the Englander - I have a hard time paying double+ more for something that does about the same job.
You probably won't find the $650 deal until end of winter/early spring - new at least.

Agent said:
Good call on the Englander - I have a hard time paying double+ more for something that does about the same job.
You probably won't find the $650 deal until end of winter/early spring - new at least.

Yeah, I thought so... that fits our timeline well. For now, I'll keep cranking the Sierra and hoping for the best.

The mild weather is turning out to be a blessing. This also gives me time to probe some more reviews, like for http://www.tractorsupply.com/united...tove-with-blower-medium-epa-certified-1098917

Then, the question becomes, am I willing to give up the renowned Englander service to save maybe $75-$100?

My bet is that your gonna get along with that stove just fine. With a 3.5 cuft firebox you can expect more than a 6 hr burn unless you are cranking some mega heat. 3.5 cuft is a lot of pounds of fuel which equal a lot of available BTU's.

Jags said:
My bet is that your gonna get along with that stove just fine. With a 3.5 cuft firebox you can expect more than a 6 hr burn unless you are cranking some mega heat. 3.5 cuft is a lot of pounds of fuel which equal a lot of available BTU's.

It's more like 2.7 according to my measurements. Still plenty big to do the job but I wish Englander would stop the false advertising, you can't load wood above the baffle.

Todd said:
Jags said:

It's more like 2.7 according to my measurements.

Really? That box looks like a cavern. Its not much bigger than mine (at 3.0) but it is bigger. I never did measure my box when a thread was rolling through here a while back about "what is the real size". I might have to do that.

It is the bricks Todd. The bricks. The interior of the firebox in my 30 below the baffle but without the bricks is 3.5139 cubic feet.

How can you count that as usable space if the bricks are there?

HotCoals said:

Please show me one manufacturer that advertises "usable space"?

BrotherBart said:
HotCoals said:

Please show me on manufacturer that advertises "usable space"?
You would think that should be the practice?
Have not payed any attention to my BBK measurements..I just know it's plenty big.
That said it losses some room that my old BKK non cat had..but I don't know if they say it's the same size box..I should look.

They were right on the money with the 17-VL box size. They quote 1.1 cubic ft and that's what it is with the bricks in place and only measuring usable burning area. Not sure why they quote 3.5 cubic ft on the 30 if it's only without the bricks installed.

This is why people should physically measure the box themselves. They aren't always as advertised and it bugs the crap out of me when manufactures boast how they have such a large clean burning firebox and it's really 25% smaller.

bluedogz said:

Start looking mid to end of January and be ready to order or buy quickly. Check all local stores and watch the chatter here. Last year there were some good deals for a couple weeks.

BeGreen said:
bluedogz said:

Start looking mid to end of January and be ready to order or buy quickly. Check all local stores and watch the chatter here. Last year there were some good deals for a couple weeks.

You got it, BG... barring an emergency the money will be sitting in the dresser drawer waiting...

I went to the Depot today to get some caulk, and stopped to look at the 30 before I left. Had my tape with me, so opened the door and took real world measurements. Usable space,..... the space where you can actually put wood to burn, not every little nook and cranny in the stove.
Anyway, I came up with 18"Dx21"Wx11"H=4158/1728=2.40625 cu. ft.. The 11" high is about an inch +/- below the tubes, and the 18" is just to the "doghouse" protrusion in the front of the stove. Those who own the stove can say whether that's the limit to where you can put wood, but that's pretty close from what I could see.
If I measure behind the bricks, and way up into the baffle area, my stove comes out around 3.7 cu. ft., but there's no way to get splits BEHIND the bricks or up under the baffle unless I use little dinky azz pieces and risk burning my arm off doing it. Real world, it's about 2.25 cu. ft..
Real world numbers, not marketing BS. Thank you very much.
All that said, I'm pretty sure this will be my next stove, because it does have more usable space for wood than mine, and the price is right.
Sorry to somewhat hijack bluedogz, but I got on a roll there.
Great stove, and please let us know if you find that deal again.....I will. :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
Sorry to somewhat hijack bluedogz, but I got on a roll there.
Great stove, and please let us know if you find that deal again.....I will. :coolsmile:

Sweat not.... for some reason threads I start seem to end up in the weeds in about 12 posts.

I know she is out there, seeking me too... the $649 NC30... in my dreams she even includes shipping.... <<sigh>>...

Since I decided I've been outdoing in my mind
I know what I want now the job is just to find
Well HD you sell my stove
And I want mind how far I drove

Ya gotta help me HD
Help me get'er onto my hearth

Help me HD
Help, help me HD
Help me HD
Help, help me HD yeah

Get'er onto my hearth.

- With sincere apologies to The Beach Boys

May want to reconsider waiting on the 30. I have been following the store and net price through HD, in a similar wait and pounce mode. Not only has there been no sale/promo, but today the net price shot to 1199. Got worried and visited the store. Still 899 there. Time to gamble. Wait and pay or wait and save?? Or buy now.

mywaynow said:
May want to reconsider waiting on the 30. I have been following the store and net price through HD, in a similar wait and pounce mode. Not only has there been no sale/promo, but today the net price shot to 1199. Got worried and visited the store. Still 899 there. Time to gamble. Wait and pay or wait and save?? Or buy now.

I hear what you're saying, but for me it's simple... the sock drawer has $650 in it. That's that. $899 means I keep burning the Sierra. MAYBE I could CL the Sierra for $250, maybe not. Not gonna count on that.

Just noticed the free shipping is no longer offerred on the HD site. Wonder if that is the difference. 300 seems a bit high for shipping though.

Status
Not open for further replies.