T5 Alderlea Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the door gasket on my T5. The manual lists the gasket as a 5/16th medium density gasket. Is it ok to use the much easier to find 3/8th gasket, or is going bigger going to affect the door? I called two stove stores and neither carried the 5/16th. Any place online that these can be obtained? Thanks in advance.

My local ACE Hardware stocks the Rutland 5/16" gasket. Check with yours.

Why the need to replace that gasket so soon?

BB,
Thanks for the quick info, I will check them out tomorrow.

Hog,
We bought the stove about a year old, and have had it a year now. When I started our first fire this year, I noticed how compressed the gasket was, and also how clearly even when the air control is shut down, we are getting more airflow in there than we should be getting. I thought the likely culprit would be the door gasket. If you have other thoughts, that would be great. Thanks both!!!!

Have you done the dollar bill test on the door gasket. It does seem pretty early for a replacement. Also, be sure the door is parallel with the stove body when it closes. If the problem is misalignment, the door gasket won't fix the issue. Also check the ash pit trap door to be sure there isn't something holding it slightly open like a fragment of charcoal.

I would shop vac out the ash chute and pan, and make sure the ash chute closes properly a tiny leftover cinder can prop it open a bit. Start a new fire, and inspect the area of the ash chute for a white hot coals, a sign of air entrainment, typically this chute will fill with fine ash over time and seal it off if the opening is small. If you have been using the ash chute to clean out the stove, that would be the very first place I would check, and then the dollar bill test on the door.

The gasket is rather dense when new, if the stove has been moved around, dollar bill test, and search here how to adjust the alderlea's door (on both hinge and latch side).

Again, thanks for the replies. My wife started a fire before I could get home, so I will do the dollar bill check hopefully tomorrow. I plan on using the shop vac with hepa filter to clean the stove out next week to eliminate the ash chute. Really appreciate all the help. I will let you know next week how this turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.