T5 Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I've seen the stove mentioned a few times recently so I figured I'd post last nights experience.

Yesterday the temp was as high as 20, low as 10. I loaded the stove at 7pm almost full of oak. The stovetop read 350°F. Maybe I could have fit another medium split in. I went to sleep with it cruising at 500°F. I reloaded at 6am this morning with a stovetop temp of 250°F and it self ignited. 11 hours, cold by most peoples standards and windy.

Its a good stove. My small cabin was within a few degrees of when I went to sleep the night before.

I've seen the stove mentioned a few times recently so I figured I'd post last nights experience.

Yesterday the temp was as high as 20, low as 10. I loaded the stove at 7pm almost full of oak. The stovetop read 350°F. Maybe I could have fit another medium split in. I went to sleep with it cruising at 500°F. I reloaded at 6am this morning with a stovetop temp of 250°F and it self ignited. 11 hours, cold by most peoples standards and windy.

Its a good stove. My small cabin was within a few degrees of when I went to sleep the night before.

Yes, a good over-niter!
Even burning the soft-woods, we usually get enough live coals in the morning to start again without kindling. If my fir mix is too light (i.e. not dense), I will throw in a NIEL (North Idaho Energy Log), as it is very dense & burns like a true hard hardwood, leaving a nice large bright ember even after 10-12 hrs.!

PE came up with a winner with the linked secondary air control on their medium stoves. It helps extend the burn nicely. The even, steady heating of the Alderlea series is great. We noticed this with the first overnight fire.

Reactions: ddddddden
How much longer burn time can you get with a t-6 vs a t-5? Does the t-6 just have more heat output per hour than the t-5 and the same burn time?

How much longer burn time can you get with a t-6 vs a t-5? Does the t-6 just have more heat output per hour than the t-5 and the same burn time?

The answer will probably be pretty subjective, unless someone has actually owned & ran both stoves.
The PE website claims 8 hr. burns on the T-5, but only states that the T-6 gets "easy" over-night burns.
If you based it solely on the size of the firebox, you would think it could easily get burn times 2 hours or more longer.

(Incidentally, we just recovered from an almost 3 day power outage & the T-5 did some serious cooking during that period)

Good question. I think their burn times are similar, but with more output offered by the larger stove. Our stove is older. The new T6 have the EBT on the secondary intake. Not sure what burn times folks are seeing with that change.