T5 Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
I was wondering if this creosote buildup on the glass of my 2023 T5 is normal?
It seems to happen when the air is turned down about 95%.
It usually cleans off with some wet paper towels and ash but this last time cleaning some didn’t come off.
I was just wondering if this soot was typical of the T5 or Super? Also, is there a better way to clean glass than wet paper towels and ash like I’ve always done?

IMG_1161.jpegIMG_1162.jpeg

Last edited:
My glass gets marks like those off and on, depends on how close a piece of wood is and it usually gets burned off

I get them. I never worried much about it. I tend to run the stove on low temperatures though.

Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one.

For piece of mind you can shut the door on a dollar bill in those locations when the stove is cold. It should be tight when you try to pull the bill out. Air leaks around door gaskets can cause creosote buildup . Not saying this is happening to you but the dollar bill test is an easy way to rule that out.

For piece of mind you can shut the door on a dollar bill in those locations when the stove is cold. It should be tight when you try to pull the bill out. Air leaks around door gaskets can cause creosote buildup . Not saying this is happening to you but the dollar bill test is an easy way to rule that out.
Good point, I can’t remember if I have done the dollar bill test yet but I think I will the next time the stove is cold.
I expect everything is fine, the stove usually cruises with the air 95-98% closed and pipe damper open 100%.
I think having the air almost all the way closed makes the air wash not work so good.