T6 burn times with hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
from 300° to peak temp and back to 300°. What is the estimated burn time can I expect using those parameters. Obviously moisture, chimney, and outdoor temps also come in to play, but I need to start somewhere.

BrowningBAR: SOrry I can't help you on the matter. However, I am certain that some T6 owners will soon join this thread and start posting.

If my memory serves me correct, I remember reading a thread where one person mentioned 12 hour burn times, and I presume that is from a cold start to a bed of coals. I would say with your 300 to 300 guideline, we'd be talking about 9 hours?

Andrew

That's a really good question. I'd love to have that same info on a few different stoves. 300 is usually the temp I'm reloading, and this info would help with stove selection.
If I could find a stove to give me 600 for about 5 hrs. (or more), then slowly drop to 300 a couple hrs. later, I'd think I died and went to woodburning heaven.

Unfortunately I've only burned a little hardwood, but if I recall correctly with locust I was seeing about 8 hrs between reloads.

BeGreen said:
Unfortunately I've only burned a little hardwood, but if I recall correctly with locust I was seeing about 8 hrs between reloads.

Hmm... I was hoping for 10.

I'm looking to see what other large stoves offer about 10 hour burn times. I know the new Defiant (about 10, not the claimed 14) and new Woodstock offers that. Not sure about the Jotul F600. I thought maybe the T6 would qualify.

Here is my 2¢:
Once in the cursing mode with air control shut to the max and only secondary, you can reach 7 to 9 hrs. burn time to 300*.
However, I personally do not use this mod because I am ending up building a hugs coal bed after only few cycles, so I let it cruse for 3 to 4 hrs. with air control closed then afterwards I open air control half way for the rest of the cycle. By doing so I have left with less of a coal bed and bur time is reduced to about 6 to 7 hrs.

Thanks.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

I'm looking to see what other large stoves offer about 10 hour burn times. I know the new Defiant (about 10, not the claimed 14) and new Woodstock offers that. Not sure about the Jotul F600. I thought maybe the T6 would qualify.
I can get ten hours with oak in my summit but the 300 at the end of the burn is with out the fan running.

10-cc said:
Here is my 2¢:
Once in the cursing mode with air control shut to the max and only secondary, you can reach 7 to 9 hrs. burn time to 300*.
However, I personally do not use this mod because I am ending up building a hugs coal bed after only few cycles, so I let it cruse for 3 to 4 hrs. with air control closed then afterwards I open air control half way for the rest of the cycle. By doing so I have left with less of a coal bed and bur time is reduced to about 6 to 7 hrs.

Thanks.

That's a good observation, likewise oldspark's. We usually do not use the fan.

However, I am rarely in cursing mode unless I burn myself. :lol:

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

For purely selfish reasons - I'm hoping you give the VC 2in1 Defiant a try. If it works out for you, I may give one a try... ;)

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

For purely selfish reasons - I'm hoping you give the VC 2in1 Defiant a try. If it works out for you, I may give one a try... ;)

Good luck,
Bill

I'll admit, it is still at the top of the list to make it's way into at least one chimney. The dealer is 10 minutes away and the owner seems pretty honest and straight forward. The owner already stated that he would give me a nice discount if I bought more than one stove from him.

Right now the list is:
Defiant
Progress-AwfulName
F600
30NC
T6

I personally would factor into the decision where and what size room is the stove going to be placed. If the new unit is going into a "formal" living area with bodies and furniture within close proximity the T6 is very comfortable with its cast iron jacket. If it were going into a basement or some other less formal area, I would probably chose differently.

Like 10-cc, I have evolved into a similar pattern of operation to avoid hardwood coaling. And to add to his technique description, I now do not jam pack the unit with oak. I am attempting to get my wood inventory so as to have at least 2 yrs of seasoning-it does make a big difference in heat production and coaling. As the incompletely seasoned oak will coal if you shut the air lever down to lengthen the burn time. The locust I had would burn to a fine feathery ash. I now typically load before work at 6 am, then whenever I get home .... a half sized load ~ 2-4 pm, then reload ~ 10 pm.

I use a blower so "stovetop" temps are not above 300 at either end of the cycles. It maybe above 300 for a ~ 3 hrs or so -- depending on fan speed. Coals for relighting/reloading are never an issue at 10-12 hrs, but stove temp with fan on will be less than 200 at 10-12 hrs.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.