taking apart right and left insert on Vermont castings resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Herodotus

Nov 28, 2021
Minnesota
Looking for some advice on removing right and left inserts on inside of 1980's Vermont Castings resolute II to get better access to vqcumn out after 40 years -I have removed both bolts on the right and left insert and looking for guidance on what tool or techinique to use to remove mainly the right insert on the inside of the resolute so I can vacuum out the ash behind the right insert and get the vqcumn hose behind the fireback -I have removed the bolt and used a flat pry bar on the right insert and it moves but will not come out-thanx

Claw hammer. Start prying from center of opening, then when front edge clears the door frame, pry there. Some come out much easier than others! Be ready to replace it, you may well find it's cracked.

Similar topic but.referring to part # 7 on Resolute lll. It sits behind the bottom of the right interior casting which I have removed. In doing so I twisted the head off of the bolt holding the main casting in place. I need to remove part 7 to get at the broken bolt more easily. To my eyes I only see furnace cement holding it in place with no mechanical fasteners. I am looking for confirmation that my eyes are still good and for a technique to remove this casting unharmed.

Tim