Tale of two Carls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahah! There is someone out there as stupid as Carl. Given by this install. I'll leave it up to the other pro's here to figure out just how stupid this is. Here is a pic.
IMG_20101102_140404.jpg

Z kit for for a wood insert in removed. Harman Accentra insert is installed. 5 feet of 4" liner is exhausted into the zero clearance smoke stack. The bottom was sealed with unfaced insulation, which I removed, and about 20lbs of ash came down with it. Customer was having problem with carbon monoxide detectors going off..

Cha ching! Pellet man cashes in again.

Scott,

. . . and about 20lbs of ash came down with it.
Must have made quite a mess on you and the immediate area.

Did you have to install a liner to the top with a cleanout T?

Ranger

the old ranger said:
Scott,

. . . and about 20lbs of ash came down with it.
Must have made quite a mess on you and the immediate area.

Did you have to install a liner to the top with a cleanout T?

Ranger

Going back in two weeks to install liner up the 8" zero clreance wood pipe. Making that connection 45' on top of the wood frame chimney ought to be fun. How the hell am I going to attach the collar to the 8" pipe? I don't know. I'll figure it out when I get there. %-P

Hey thank god the customer had carbon monoxide detectors or this story might have a totally different ending.....

Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
ure into dissing carl now?
How can you support him?
carl1 invented the garbage can spark arrestor which resulted in averting fire for 6 yrs. though not UL listed. I see no reason to associate that with this distortion other than a$75/hr. techie trying to drum up bizness

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
How can you support him?
carl1 invented the garbage can spark arrestor which resulted in averting fire for 6 yrs. though not UL listed. I see no reason to associate that with this distortion other than a$75/hr. techie trying to drum up bizness
Just,, Bitter/Jealous

I see no reason to associate that with this distortion other than a$75/hr. techie trying to drum up bizness

IMO that is a very unfair statement.

As far as your defending Carl, you seem to be all by yourself.

Ranger

firewarrior820 said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
How can you support him?
Just,, Bitter/Jealous
jealous of carl1, bitter his idea is dissed by unimaginitive gloat

the old ranger said:
I see no reason to associate that with this distortion other than a$75/hr. techie trying to drum up bizness

Ranger
look back on the other post & u'll find 2 somewhat redeeming posts not from me. point is=if the rulebook is followed like a bible, innovation gets squelched....ask Copernicus

~*~vvv~*~ said:
the old ranger said:

Ranger
look back on the other post & u'll find 2 somewhat redeeming posts not from me. point is=if the rulebook is followed like a bible, innovation gets squelched....ask Copernicus
like I said,, JEALOUS

Innovation is a garbage can on YOUR house for sparks or my house or whoever is 'working on the product'. This garbage can in turn leads to a smaller unit that is more refined than just a garbage can. This is redneck engineering that never got any innovation past cutting a hole in the side of it. Oh and I am a redneck and know full well the capabilities and capacities of baling wire and duct tape and still wouldn't put that on my own home so don't think I am redneck bashing as we can truly be innovative, but this isn't it.

If it had at least an outlet pipe and an attempt to seal the lid to the can and was posted up as 'his' home I could very possibly say "Wow that is innovative.

I am sorry to get off topic going back to another thread but I see where VVV is trying to go with this and yeah the can itself is the start to an innovative idea but there is absolutely no follow through.

I would agree with you vvv but if I did we would both be wrong. It is a clear cut case of someone not caring and just half donkeying to get through life.

Bob

Countryboymo said:
Innovation is a garbage can on YOUR house for sparks or my house or whoever is 'working on the product'. This garbage can in turn leads to a smaller unit that is more refined than just a garbage can. This is redneck engineering that never got any innovation past cutting a hole in the side of it. Oh and I am a redneck and know full well the capabilities and capacities of baling wire and duct tape and still wouldn't put that on my own home so don't think I am redneck bashing as we can truly be innovative, but this isn't it.

If it had at least an outlet pipe and an attempt to seal the lid to the can and was posted up as 'his' home I could very possibly say "Wow that is innovative.

I am sorry to get off topic going back to another thread but I see where VVV is trying to go with this and yeah the can itself is the start to an innovative idea but there is absolutely no follow through.

I would agree with you vvv but if I did we would both be wrong. It is a clear cut case of someone not caring and just half donkeying to get through life.

Bob
the can worked for 6yrs. I,d guess exhaust port might have done the trick but i didnt get to visit the situation. Fact is leaves do pile up & pstove pipe can emit embers. gcan also works as a buffer against wind even better than a vertical chimni i'd guess

by that logic, because my old man hasn't had an accident in 50+ years of driving, seatbelts are unnecessary. :)

just because nothing bad has happened....YET....doesn't mean it won't.

cac4 said:
by that logic, because my old man hasn't had an accident in 50+ years of driving, seatbelts are unnecessary. :)

even with proper install embers still fly. the seat belt & the gcan are both preemptive safety measures, duh

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
How can you support him?
The fact that it has worked for 6 years means nothing. He tried his "invention" out on a costumer in which he already caused a house fire at. With no prior support if it would worked. It is careless, reckless, and just irresponsible as a installer.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
cac4 said:

even with proper install embers still fly. the seat belt & the gcan are both preemptive safety measures, duh
You know what whould help this right? Proper install. Exhuast more than a foot from the ground, away from an inside corner, out the chimney 2 feet from that stove, 4 ft away from an opening window, and commen sense.

Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
cac4 said:

You know what whould help this right? Proper install. Exhuast more than a foot from the ground, away from an inside corner, out the chimney 2 feet from that stove, 4 ft away from an opening window, and commen sense.
"commen" sense implies gang dictates! imagine a house with old dry cedar shakes & ur proposed setup...embers still fly...

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Shorty said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
cac4 said:

"commen" sense implies gang dictates! imagine a house with old dry cedar shakes & ur proposed setup...embers still fly...
Well there is other ways of doing it. Through the roof would be a more proven safer way right? I know that Carl is your hero, but face it. Its still wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.