Tales from the woods..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A lot of equipment that I use records power-on hours, travel hours, and deadman hours. Power-on hours can easily be 10x what travel hours are for a lot of those machines.

I have a tall tail my late husband shared with me when he was a young man and it seems they were chopping into a tree trunk and they hit a yellow jacket nest and they all started running back to the house some ways away and got in and shut all windows and doors and they got stung too on the way in but he said that those yellow jackets circled that house for hours and they just made it inside in time...clancey

Lol! Bees are a real challenge in the timber falling industry that’s for sure. Was kinda odd, had a job in the Tacoma watershed where the yellow jackets had ground nests everywhere on this one particular unit and they were ground nest and evidently the black bear will grub the larvae’s so these bees would explode out even walking by. We warned the rigging crew they were so bad. Well, weird but after they had been logging the first setting for a bit, we asked them how the bees were and they said they really hadn’t ran into any of them. No idea why they would have vacated just from the falling. Bees also make for a speedy climb down in resi work ha ha! Job got delayed so no pics till the 13th. I’m not sure how the kabota hour meter works. My new Holland is adding any time the motor is running. Sales guy told me I should get around 10,000 hours if properly maintained. It’s a 33 horse. Considering I hardly use it, that will be a while.

I got stung in the face and neck probably 50 times last year. Was digging a post hole and hit a nest of ground dwelling hornets. Mean little buggers!

I was pretty close to calling 911 when I got back to the house, couldn't tell if I was just having shock or anaphylaxis. Took some benadryl and waited until I was sure my airway wasn't closing up before sleeping it off.

I normally don't use any poisons on my property, but I made an exception for that nest.

Them bees definitely take the macho out of a guy. We always started at daylight and 2 times I had them up my pant leg cutting the first tree down. Yaaay

Neighbor rubs dryer sheets all over, leaves one stuffed in his belt on either side and one tucked under the back of his hat when mowing. Swears the yellow jackets won’t come near him when he is wearing them.
I have witnessed him mow over a nest and they were swarming, not sure if he’s on to something or just lucky.

Just reminded me of a guy I worked with for about 8 years wore those bug eye screen goggles and said the bees didn’t bother him because they thought he was the king bee lol

ha ha----I bet at the time he was the "King Bee"...at least he thought he was...maybe still is....any mental change will help with those warrior insects and I say---"Run"...clancey

Well, he really didn’t have any reason to bs me. I’ll get some pics and you can believe it or not. Makes no difference difference to me
Gold fever

I got stung in the face and neck probably 50 times last year. Was digging a post hole and hit a nest of ground dwelling hornets. Mean little buggers!

I was pretty close to calling 911 when I got back to the house, couldn't tell if I was just having shock or anaphylaxis. Took some benadryl and waited until I was sure my airway wasn't closing up before sleeping it off.

I normally don't use any poisons on my property, but I made an exception for that nest.
I was cleaning up a rock wall and was on my knees and picked up a big flat rock and there was a hornets nest underneath, fastest I ever ran in my life, I had a few up my sleeves.

Well, the kabota was a bust. I snuck over after I crashed the trees. About 650 hours on the meter. Maybe he was talking about something else cus I don’t get why he would bs about it. But , I took some picks of the trees just for any interested. The biggest was a beautiful snag. The crooked one was completely dead for some time. Guessing these were 110-120’. All chopped to 16”. Would have made some beautiful lumber

Attachments

• 76AB0EBF-E034-4507-97FB-DFF2CC350704.jpeg
    76AB0EBF-E034-4507-97FB-DFF2CC350704.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 84
  • F11C32F9-3B61-48AD-A49B-D571F0379B3F.jpeg
    F11C32F9-3B61-48AD-A49B-D571F0379B3F.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 81
  • BA956DE4-735B-4830-93D7-75B3724AE6C0.jpeg
    BA956DE4-735B-4830-93D7-75B3724AE6C0.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 80
Sorry about the Kabota and the man told you so many more hours you could get with it....Those trees are shaped funny but you got some wood and the pictures are nice too--different...Pretty green...clancey