Talk about crazy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice score!

Although I can't for the life of me see how that tree even fell like that.

Anyway, it looks like he had a nice house for a while there. Hope he has stupidity coverage on his homeowners and it's paid up. Be sure to keep us updated. That had to make one heck of a noise as all that wood was cracking and getting torn apart like that! I bet the next one will make even more noise...

Awesome fire wood. Great score.
Get & run until he calls you to get the other one after it's down :)
"Better to be lucky than good"
Not sure luck will hold up if he cuts the other one.

That last picture shows how the tree leans. I hope you get a call and that both the people and the house still stands.

If he don't luck out like he did on the first one you may get a bunch of kiln dried 2X4 kindling also. I just hope no one gets hurt or worse.

Egads . . . nice score . . . but that remaining tree scares me . . . sometimes there are times when you really should call in the professionals . . . this has "BAD IDEA" written all over it.

I'm amazed how some folks can aim a tree perfectly. I would think that tree is going to air condition his house but some guys could probably cut a fallen log and make it go the other way.

I'd hire a pro for any trees around the house that even look like they'd threaten to fall where I wouldn't want them to go.

babzog said:
I'm amazed how some folks can aim a tree perfectly. I would think that tree is going to air condition his house but some guys could probably cut a fallen log and make it go the other way.

I'd hire a pro for any trees around the house that even look like they'd threaten to fall where I wouldn't want them to go.
'
I've got a book called Handlogger, by W.H. Jackson. It's an autobiography about a man who was working in lumber camps and oilfields in California and Oregon about a hundred years ago, when he was lured away by the northern forests. He followed the coast up to Alaska, and on the way learned the trade of handlogging, in which a couple of men, or a man, using hand tools would do the work of an entire logging crew.

They'd pick a tree a hundred feet or more tall, six feet across or bigger, and cut it down, sometimes standing on planks inserted in notches cut in the tree. They'd pick the tree's route so carefully that, when all went as planned, the tree would barrel down off a mountain, skinning itself in the process, land in water so deep it would plunge to the bottom and then `blow' like a whale, come back to the surface, stream out and land with a whump in the water.

Sometimes the trees would get hung up, usually at the tip, and then they'd have to work down at the bottom of this tree, sometimes on land so steep that they'd have to dig footholds, releasing whatever was keeping it from moving--tree roots, or digging up a hillside that it had buried itself in. They'd have their escape route planned before they began--he told the story of two handloggers working together who each had an escape route planned that, when the tree started moving, resulted in their running into one another so hard each sat down. Fortunately, the tree only moved ten feet and stopped again. Jackson said that one time he moved so fast when that tree moved that he ran out from under his hat, and found it later ground into the dirt. He said that sometimes he was asked why he didn't use power tools, and he always replied that he used the two strongest powers on earth: gravity and the tides.

Jackson married a woman who was a crack shot and a good cook, and he and his wife lived on a boat in the Ketchikan area and handlogged for years. It's a heck of a yarn, and a fun read. I thought of the book when I read the comment about cutting a fallen log and making it fall the other way-- :lol: ---anyway, it was reprinted awhile back, and copies are still available on Amazon. When I see pictures of trees like this, I think of the picture in the book with him standing next to a tree wider than he was tall--which was plenty tall--with a notch cut out half his height and longer than he was, smooth as someone slicing into a round of cheese with a sharp knife--and done all with an axe. They grew folks tough in those days, and not much mercy for slow learners.

I've known people who could drive a stake with a tree. They'll tell you right where it's going to land, and it does, and sometimes it has to rotate around on the stump before it drops. Quite the art form.

JoeyD said:
CountryBoy19 said:
JoeyD said:
oldspark said:
I dont unddrstand why some people dont just get a pickup or some thing to pull it down after you make a couple of cuts, I do this with almost all the trees I cut down any more and some of those are out in the open, cuts down on the stress level.

I did suggest that to him but in all honesty I regreted it after thinking about it. The way he makes his cuts the bottom could kick back and nail the house. I don't see a good way to do it without a bucket truck.

That remaining oak looks like a piece of cake to bring down in the same direction as the others. With a proper wedge cut and good hinge wood it will fall in that direction easily. No roping, bucket truck or pulling necessary, maybe just a wedge driven in the back to make sure the it doesn't try to go backward.

JMO...

It's hard to tell from the photo but the tree leans towad the front of the house.
I realize that the tree is leaning over the house, but as long as the lean isn't bad enough to break your hinge you should be able to bring it down perpendicular to the lean pretty easily. Heck, with a couple wedges one can take a back leaning tree and make it fall forward, there is no reason a tree with a small side lean can't be felled easily.

I suggest that if you can, go out to a woods sometime (with an experienced person is best) and try wedging a few small trees over just to see how they react to wedges. You will really get an understanding of how felling a tree works, and just how useful wedges are.

CountryBoy19 said:
I suggest that if you can, go out to a woods sometime (with an experienced person is best) and try wedging a few small trees over just to see how they react to wedges. You will really get an understanding of how felling a tree works, and just how useful wedges are.

that's a good thought. I can't see, right now, how one could take a tree where the weight is not over the stump and cut and move that the other way. I mean, we're talking about wedging probably a couple of tons of weight. Now, a cable and a skidder (or equivalent heavy vehicle) and pulling it over makes a lot of sense, but I'd love to learn how to fell these kinds of complicated setups.

babzog said:
CountryBoy19 said:

that's a good thought. I can't see, right now, how one could take a tree where the weight is not over the stump and cut and move that the other way. I mean, we're talking about wedging probably a couple of tons of weight. Now, a cable and a skidder (or equivalent heavy vehicle) and pulling it over makes a lot of sense, but I'd love to learn how to fell these kinds of complicated setups.

I drop big boys in the forest all the time, and I use wedges ALL the time. Big trees require multiple wedges if you want them to land in a certain area. I always clear an escape route too, cause when those big boys hit the ground they like to dance around a bit. Once its time for "Timber", I'm heading away at an angle to safety.

I also worked for a tree service 30 years ago. We took down trees like in the pic. They always came down in sections with ropes - with a climber cutting. Usually guys holding those ropes on the ground. I did get a rope ride into the sky once when the tree was too heavy and I didn't let go. I learned my lesson after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.