Tall, narrow wood fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoninda

May 4, 2016
Santa Fe, NM
I just joined Hearth.com, and couldn't find any discussion on taller, narrower fireplace inserts. We are looking for two flush, wood-burning fireplace inserts for our two kiva-style fireplaces. If this term is unfamiliar, it refers to a fireplace style based on Native American designs, and common in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They have openings in the shape of inverted catenary arches. The example in this link is similar to ours. http://www.adobelite.com/navajo.htm Ours are roughly 24" high, and 21" wide at the bottom of the opening. The depths of the two fireplaces are 21" and 27". Each one is lined with fire brick, and behind this is adobe brick. This makes it fairly easy to expand the size of the current opening, and modify it's shape.

I've spent many days looking for inserts that have the tall, narrow shape that we would prefer, for aesthetic reasons, as well as to minimize the reshaping of the current opening. So far, all the inserts that I have found have doors that are wide, low rectangles, or very flat arches. We want the reverse, tall and narrow, which we see on some free-standing stoves, such as these. http://www.wittus.com/catalogs/wood stove web.pdf If the middle section of one of these stoves was an insert, that would come close to optimum. It would be nice to have an arched top on the door.

Does anyone know of an insert that is taller and narrower than most, and therefore more appropriate for our tastes and current fireplaces? If not, what do you recommend as the narrowest, "regular" insert? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I have seen several examples of that type-shape of fireplace while visiting the Taos area. I has been a few years since I have explored the insert market but I do recall a masonry stove from Poland or some other Eastern Europe country. This stove was in the shape as you describe and also had an arched cast iron door while the rest of the unit seems to have been a wielded firebox. What got my attention about it was in one example application someone made a cob sculpture around it in a shape like a Pueblo fireplace. I do remember that they picked the "mass heater" solution because it was in an off-grid home. I must admit that I am stretching my memory but I believe the dealer for that unit was in Taos since the cob application of it was in an "earth ship" west of town.

Lake Girl, the 21" width is at the front, and at the bottom of the front arch. It's the widest point in the current firebox. Thanks, BJ64, for the suggestions. I will see if I can locate a vendor in Taos.

Status
Not open for further replies.