tarm leaking smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
My tarm solo 40 is leaking smoke when I first start up. The smoke is leaking in the front, rising out the top. Only when I start up, before I turn on the blower.
The smoke isn't coming out the fan damper. It's coming out the front of the boiler.
Is anyone else having this problem?

My Solo 30 has had that issue since it was brand new. I solved it by using a little pink fiberglass insulation as gasket material, teased out a little for fluff. I know it sounds hokey, but it has been working for several years.

there must be something leaking on the front face of the boiler.I'm gonna have to take the cover off, both door frames have to be disasembled., and run it with no cover to see what the problem is.

Hasn't anyone had or is having a smoke issue other than the door gaskets?

My tarm solo 40 is leaking smoke when I first start up. The smoke is leaking in the front, rising out the top. Only when I start up, before I turn on the blower.
The smoke isn't coming out the fan damper. It's coming out the front of the boiler.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Chuck,

I ran into this this afternoon when I started the fire up (I burn oil for a few hours once a week to keep my nozzle clean). I noticed I have this problem only if I am just starting the boiler. My assumption was that it was caused because my fire wasn't hot enough to 1) burn the smoke produced and 2) it hadn't created a sufficient draft to pull the smoke down into the secondary combustion chamber. Even after replacing the gaskets on the door, I still have had the problem. My experience has always been that the smoking stops within a few minutes.

I would imagine the issue is caused by a pusher draft fan instead of one in the exhaust, like the new innovas. Once the draft gets going its fixed I'm sure.

Once the draft does get going everything is o.k, but till then I can smoke myself out of my basement if I'm not careful.
The smoke backs up through the fan shutter. The shutter isn't a positive seal, I've taken it apart, lubed it. It works properly, but it isn't designed to fully close. It should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.