Tech IV Info Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jyeager5

Dec 3, 2015
Richmond va
coaly,

i know this is probably not the best way to reach you. i am fairly new to owning an insert. i actually acquired a fisher Tech IV for FREE from a craigslist post. i cannot find any information on this unit and i want to make sure i install it correctly. i was hoping maybe you could give me some pointers, i noticed you have mentioned this model a few times in other post as well. i just want to make sure i install it to the manufacturers specifications and/or find an owners manual for it! if you can give me some help that would be awesome! if not i completely understand.

thanks!

Not a problem md. I'll call you Dr. Death............. But a Honey Bear Insert when there are regular Inserts out there a dime a dozen? ouch

Camfan; I was waiting to confirm what I thought it was. It's a Tech IV Insert from Cesco Ind. Roanoke VA. 10/85. Round 6 inch outlet, no damper on top, didn't ask about a baffle, but he said the air intake is connected to the door to be automatic in such that it opens fully when you open the doors to prevent smoke roll in. 249 miles from me, 4 1/2 hours.

Sorry, I don't have a manual for that one.
Camfan in GA might. If you click on his name at the left of one of his posts, you can then hit "start a conversation" which is a private message that works just like posting in the Forum.

I'll move this to a new thread titled "Tech IV info needed" and maybe someone with the manual will see it.
Welcome to the Forum !

Coaly,

thanks for the quick response and the help. sent him a message. any recommendations on installation. should i get a flex liner for the length of the chimney? some folks say all the way, some say 5 feet and others say just past the damper. I appreciate it.

Depends on the existing flue size. It needs to be the same diameter all the way up. (That is probably specified in manual as well) If there is room for an insulated liner all the way up, do it.
Is the fabricator who made yours on the UL tag?
Pictures may help the chimney pros here give you alternate ways to connect to a liner.
You do realize you were lucky to have found this one before me right? :(

Ask and you shall receive. I have most of the face off, cleaning it up before i install. But after cleanup i can post a completed picture. 8" opening on top. 13"x13"x25' Chimney FOT6FBF.jpg IMG_3023.jpg IMG_3024 (2).jpg IMG_3025.jpg

Also - I know i am very lucky i got this at all. I was almost ready to write the check for a brand new Breckwell...about $1900...Free is much better. Patience and the Craigslist free stuff section.

Last edited:
Thanks! That will be like new when you're done.
It was made by C.E. Smith Co. from VA. I don't know if any other fabricators made them.
Yes, you need a liner all the way up and there is plenty of room for insulation around it. Insulate it good. Unless someone chimes in with experience with one reduced to 7 or 6, you're in uncharted waters. They already extract more heat than a regular Insert, so I'm sure it would be much better with 6 all the way. They were vented oversize due to using larger existing flues and preventing smoke roll in when opening doors. At a manufacturing level, they just don't know what they will be vented into so they have to make them able to work with larger flues in existing fireplaces and be idiot proof. The insulated liner not only makes it more efficient needing less heat left up the stack during operation, it stays warmer at loading time to create the draft required to prevent smoke spillage. If they were made with 6, there is much more expanding of flue gasses when increased to a larger flue, cooling flue considerably. Telling customers they have to go with an expensive liner for their product doesn't sell well against the competition. Unfortunately efficiency had to suffer to stay in business. Now it's perfectly acceptable to tell customers they need a liner since EPA regulations forced them to burn cleaner and require the smaller flue for the technology to work. As long as it remains 6 all the way, I believe it will work great. If I could find one, I have an insulated 6 inch chimney here I'd like to test one with. Reducing is technically against code, but the code was written to prevent restricting the flow from an appliance that needs the outlet size opening to properly vent. When you know what chimney flue is going to be used it's a different story and some were special made with 6 inch outlets. The total firebox cubic inches are far below needing 8 just like all the other double door Fishers built with 8.
Is there an adjustable baffle, or is one welded in place?

To preserve that blower motor I mix STP 50/50 with light oil to last longer in bearings. Long story short, I used it on a steam locomotive axle that ran hot for an entire season on an excursion that ran every weekend. It was the only lubricant that worked to keep a crown brass type bearing cool that was normally lubricated with hard grease. (we dubbed it "Steam Train Protection") It extends the life of the oil when difficult to service.
Keep silver anti-seize on the rest of the moving parts. It's capable of higher temps than using most high temp grease.

There's a single door Honey Bear in VA for $300 I'm seriously considering the trip for. Not as rare as what you found, but desirable !

The Baffle is welded in place i believe, but i will double check this afternoon when i get home from work. once i have it back together i will upload a picture. Thanks for all the advice, i really appreciate it. if you make the trip let me know. i will help lift.

Hey Coaly,

I almost forgot! it went together nicely. The grills came a copper color. Wife did not like them so i painted them flat black and i am happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 194
I thought the material was solid brass only, but maybe they came with optional trim?

Here is the polished brass they came with;

Fisher Tech IV Insert.jpg I polish the polished parts with Maas metal polish for all precious metals. Depending on the decor it can be a little much.

Have her take a look! It's easy to wipe off with spirits or thinner and polish if it is brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.