Tell me more about my splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
So, I posted a while ago that I bought this splitter. The seller told me it is about 20 tons. It works great.
It is branded as Sachs-Dolmar. I contacted Dolmar US and they told me their splitters were made by Lickity. That is all they seem to know.
The label on the beam indicates it was made by Sachs-Dolmar in Atlanta, Texas. Is not there anymore.

There is no model name/number or anything, just a stamped number 000289 of which I think it might be a serial number.
The hydraulic fluid is in the beam between the wheels, it has a 5 HP B&S engine.

As far as I can see it has the original paint.
IMG_0882.JPG

I searched the Dolmar Germany site, nothing.

Exhausted Google, not a picture that comes close.

Anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
Without reading your post and only seeing the splitter with that low beam, my first though was that it's a Lickety Splitter! They are older machines that were last made in the 1970's.

I've only seen Lickety Splitters with a long and tall solid triangular wedge on the beam. If it is indeed a Lickety, your wedge may be a variation that Lickety implemented for a very short time, or it very well could be a replacement wedge that one of its owners fabricated and welded on. (The wedge made of three pieces of steel plate is a common DIY design.)

If you want more information, search: LICKETY SPLITTER PIQUA OH

Last edited:
Without reading your post and only seeing the splitter with that low beam, my first though was that it's a Lickety Splitter! They are older machines that were last made in the 1970's.

I've only seen Lickety Splitters with a long and tall solid triangular wedge on the beam. If it is indeed a Lickety, your wedge may be a variation that Lickety implemented for a very short time, or it very well could be a replacement wedge that one of its owners fabricated and welded on. (The wedge made of three pieces of steel plate is a common DIY design.)

Thank you Treepointer, appreciate your reply. I have been looking at Piqua in Ohio regarding the splitters and you find a lot of info that they were made there, but it does not answer any of my questions. As mine seems to be made in TX (according to the label), I start to think the Dolmar US people informed me wrong.

Last edited:
That does appear to be a clone of the lickety splitter. I have seen that wedge design before. I think it may have come on the later models as an "improvement". I don't know where it was made and at this point, probably a moot point (its a bit like asking where the Tucker was made) unless its just for historical knowledge.
They were pretty much a dirt simple and reliable machine. Not a powerhouse, but very functional. Yours appears to be in exceptional condition.

That does appear to be a clone of the lickety splitter. I have seen that wedge design before. I think it may have come on the later models as an "improvement". I don't know where it was made and at this point, probably a moot point (its a bit like asking where the Tucker was made) unless its just for historical knowledge.
They were pretty much a dirt simple and reliable machine. Not a powerhouse, but very functional. Yours appears to be in exceptional condition.

Thanks Jags. Yes it is in very good condition. That is why I could not resist it for $300. It is just weird I cannot find anything about this splitter under the Sachs-Dolmar name. I saw one for sale in AK, but no details on model or specs.

It is just weird I cannot find anything about this splitter under the Sachs-Dolmar name
Yeah - it is a bit weird as they were fairly common. But you are also talking about a piece of small equipment that hasn't been made in 30 years. Its possible that the tag claiming TX as the home might just be a re-badge?? Dunno, just throwing it out there.

I did find this - it might be of interest (I am at a rate of Master in the art of google foo :p)
http://www.farmcollector.com/steam-traction/modern-log-splitter

Yeah - it is a bit weird as they were fairly common. But you are also talking about a piece of small equipment that hasn't been made in 30 years. Its possible that the tag claiming TX as the home might just be a re-badge?? Dunno, just throwing it out there.

I did find this - it might be of interest (I am at a rate of Master in the art of google foo :p)
http://www.farmcollector.com/steam-traction/modern-log-splitter
Thanks for the link, I found that one too. Interesting read.

Here is another one, the only one I could find. Same wedge, so I do not think a home made wedge. This one is in AK.

http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317183545

Reactions: TreePointer
I have one of these in my wood working area now, trying to get it to run for the owner. I will have to post a picture later. Engine and Carb are like nothing I have ever worked on.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Is it possible that that is just a Sachs/Dolmar sticker that someone placed on the splitter and has nothing to do with the splitter manufacturer? This was my first thought when I saw your photo.

I had a second look, it is a sticker. However, there are a few more (with user instructions on them) and they have the Sachs Dolmar name with manufacturing plant address on it, so I do not think these are put on by a previous owner.

Reactions: KenLockett
Thing sure is in good shape for being from the 70's. Certainly a good barn find. By the looks of it doesn't look like it has ever been out in the elements. Wish I had that luck!

So looking close, they may have more differences then I first realized.20161110_064313.jpg 20161110_064339.jpg 20161110_064323.jpg 20161110_064359.jpg

Looks similar to a Northstar, with a few differences. May have changed over the productions year.

Status
Not open for further replies.