Temp Wood Stove help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
by code you cannot run a wood stove and an oil furnace through the same flue. So yes the wood stove needs to go or be hooked up correctly to it's own flue.

They will look at everything and give you options on how best to make it safe. from the limited pics i see your setup is far from safe.

Anything that can burn. All of that wood i see in that pic needs to be 18" minimum from that pipe. The stove will need 36" minimum to anything combustible.

As it is it can not be used safely. You need someone to come there and look at the whole situation and see what options you have. But honestly from what i can see so far i don't think that either the wood stove or the furnace are safe to use
Will get a professional in here ASAP

Am I the only one that thinks that tee is galvanized pipe?

Wow! Scary. I was going to share what I know about these as I grew up being heated by one, but until you get a safe install...

hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum and found tons of great info on here. Just have a few questions about a wood stove that I have in my basement. I have never used any type of wood burning application before until I moved into my new home which have a pellet stove and a Temp Wood stove in the basement. I got my pellet stove running really well and all thanks to the forum members. I'm first question is how to start this wood stove? How to know if this stove is even safe to burn in? By the looks of it the last owners used it. Also will this allow smoke in the home? I tired to light it and failed. Please help and thanks again

Hello all. Sorry for being a bit late to this discussion, but I just signed up to the forum. I currently have one of these stoves in use in my basement and it is a GREAT source of heat, meaning that it will give off a lot of heat and I have always found them very easy to light. If you are not careful, it can give off too much heat. The two little holes on either side of the large hole where you put wood in are the downdraft regulators, meaning they control the amount of air going to the fire. Based on the picture in your first post, these were closed. I assume that you opened them some in your initial attempt at starting the fire. When first starting the fire, these need to wide open with a nice bed of newspaper and some dry kindling as somebody else commented. Once the fire starts, these should be closed up some but left maybe half open until the fire really gets burning. You can tell how much to close them by the sound that the stove is making. It will give a whoosh, whoosh sound if open too much. That all being said, I am with some of the other people that posted, that this stove in its' present location and set up is not really safe. If after you have it inspected, you decide that you do not want to deal with the hassle of getting it properly installed, I would be interested in discussing buying this from you, if it is as good a condition as it appears in the one photo. As I said to begin with, this is a great old stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.