Temperatures behind insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

allen2be

Oct 31, 2017
MI
Can't seem to find much in my past hour of Googling... Anyone know what kind of temperatures occur inside of a fireplace around the outside of a wood insert? I know it probably depends on a million things, so I'm just looking for a range. Thanks everybody.

Reactions: Supersurvey
Speaking for my insert, the insert's rubber jacketed electrical cord is designed to be in that space without issues. It doesn't get real hot.

Are you sure about that, Jetsam? I thought the Princess Insert requires that the cord be outside the shroud to the left of the insert. I don't know what the heat is like behind it, so can't speak to that, but I read those install instructions a lot this spring, and that stands out in my mind.

Are you sure about that, Jetsam? I thought the Princess Insert requires that the cord be outside the shroud to the left of the insert.

Well, the cord comes out of the back left side of the unit, so I don't see how that is possible without drilling some holes in the insert and rerouting the power cord. Even if you did run it outside the shroud, it has to wrap around the side of the insert.... inside the fireplace.

My outlet is a handybox inside the old fireplace; honestly it would have been a lot more convenient for me if the cord did come out of the front of the unit.

My "professional installers" showed up and then announced that electrical work was not part of their "complete install", so I had to pull a new circuit and drill a hole in the fireplace so the blower could plug in somewhere.

Speaking for my insert, the insert's rubber jacketed electrical cord is designed to be in that space without issues. It doesn't get real hot.
That's unusual. Can you add your insert make and model to your signature line?

That's unusual. Can you add your insert make and model to your signature line?

It's a BK Princess... and the manual doesn't show the power cord location. You'd think it would go to the blower assembly on the front left of the unit, but I am pretty sure it doesn't, otherwise there would need to be an opening in the shroud for the cord to pass through. I'll look at it when I get home and see if it's routed through the shroud maybe?

It is most definitely plugged into a handybox inside the fireplace. I drilled a little hole in a mortar joint and pulled a piece of BX through the hole so it could have an outlet.

It's a BK Princess... and the manual doesn't show the power cord location. You'd think it would go to the blower assembly on the front left of the unit, but I am pretty sure it doesn't, otherwise there would need to be an opening in the shroud for the cord to pass through. I'll look at it when I get home and see if it's routed through the shroud maybe?

It is most definitely plugged into a handybox inside the fireplace. I drilled a little hole in a mortar joint and pulled a piece of BX through the hole so it could have an outlet.
Can you add your stove to the signature line setting in the accounts settings? That helps readers put the comments in context, not for just this thread, but for others as well. Thx.