Tempwood Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wescustogo

Dec 28, 2022
Maine
This stove it probably the best I've ever used. Instant heat within minutes, and incredibly easy to load being a toploader. The downdraft pipes make it a piece of cake to adjust and lighting took less than a minute to get a good fire. It didn't last more than 6 hours on a slow burn, but we were using just spruce at the time. The large cooktop surface came in handy for a power outage too. 55k BTU's and heated the whole 1600 sq feet home nicely and evenly to 70s on cold days. I bet with a good load of hardwood it would last at least 8 hours, 10 with coals to relight.

The drawbacks are it's one of the uglier stoves out there, and quite large. The metal is pretty thin and you can see bulges on the sides from warping.

Overall a great, reliable stove. Nothing to fuss with, just throw whatever you have in it and go.

Anyone else have one?

335732335_228396029597211_5123938168892143613_n.jpg

I think @pen may have had one at one time? A friend's dad heated their place with one for about 30 yrs. They are a cheap downdraft design that actually worked quite well for the time.

My dad was a Tempwood distributor (only sold 3 or 4) in late70's - early 80's. We used ours a while in basement. Easy to light. Like other said, I liked the dual downdraft. Seemed like a solid stove.

Yeah a weird design but worked pretty well for their day

I burned one once at a house we rented and it worked pretty good, like you said. Fast lighting and decent heat for it's size.