Terracotta removal/relining risky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dodd10x

Aug 25, 2021
I recently purchased a new house with two fireplaces on one two story chimney (so probably 30-35 foot). The chimney sweep/inspector says that the lining is failing and should be relined. Because the chimney has two flues I'm told an insulated stainless liner wouldn't fit without removing the terracotta.

Another chimney guy told me that's a dangerous operation, especially on two flues, and he's seen chimneys collapse when the chain hit some weak brick.

Is this something I need to worry about? Are there alternatives?

I'm planning on having a wood insert installed as well.

What is the ID of each clay liner? Did the chimney person discuss installing an oval, preinsulated liner like DuraLiner?

What is the ID of each clay liner? Did the chimney person discuss installing an oval, preinsulated liner like DuraLiner?
They didn't go into those specifics on the clay and I didn't know enough to ask. They showed me all the deteriorating spots on camera and talked about the tile size and such.

They did say it would be a preinsulated liner, and that's the reason for knocking out the terracotta. I think they said the opening was only about 7 inches in one direction currently.

This was in December though, when we first moved in, so I don't remember the details.

Sounds like they may be 7 x 11 ID tiles. DuraLiner oval liner is made specifically to solve this issue. Or if the installer has a proper ovalizer they may choose to use that on a preinsulated flex liner.

They didn't go into those specifics on the clay and I didn't know enough to ask. They showed me all the deteriorating spots on camera and talked about the tile size and such.

They did say it would be a preinsulated liner, and that's the reason for knocking out the terracotta. I think they said the opening was only about 7 inches in one direction currently.

This was in December though, when we first moved in, so I don't remember the details.
Are you relining for an open fireplace or for a stove? We break out liners all the time I have done hundreds and never had a chimney collapse. But if it's for a stove or insert I would just use an oval liner

Are you relining for an open fireplace or for a stove? We break out liners all the time I have done hundreds and never had a chimney collapse. But if it's for a stove or insert I would just use an oval liner
I'd like to do a stove insert. An oval liner wasn't an option they proposed. That's the kind of information I was hoping to find out here! Thank you, I will look into those. I'm sure it would save me some cash over knocking all that tile out.

Sounds like they may be 7 x 11 ID tiles. DuraLiner oval liner is made specifically to solve this issue. Or if the installer has a proper ovalizer they may choose to use that on a preinsulated flex liner.
That's exactly what I was looking for! I'm going to have to look into an oval liner and ask some questions of the next people I have give me an estimate.

I'd like to do a stove insert. An oval liner wasn't an option they proposed. That's the kind of information I was hoping to find out here! Thank you, I will look into those. I'm sure it would save me some cash over knocking all that tile out.
Not much money saved no. But I prefer not breaking out in fireplaces if not absolutely nessecary

Reactions: moresnow
I have no idea what Napoleon inserts are going for now

4200 according to them. I'm not set on a particular make or model - that just happens to be the brand they use.
4800 is certainly on the high side for a liner and install

That particular chimney place wants 9 grand for relining and sourcing/installing a Napoleon Oakdale........
Seems pretty darn high, even if this is a $3,500 insert. What other inserts have you considered?

4800 is certainly on the high side for a liner and install
Thanks for the confirmation. I have a couple more estimates I'm getting. I think I'd be happy with something like a Regency i2450, Drolet 1800 or Osburn 2000 also. Just depends on what is available. I don't mind them sticking out some since it's supposed to give more heat if power is lost. Smaller viewing area is probably the biggest downside I can think of for the Regency.

Based on word from SBI, inventory is already committed. So if you find an insert that will work and is priced right. Go for it.

Reactions: EbS-P
Just had another chimney company out. They said the opening is 9x13 and I shouldn't have issues with installing a 6 inch insulated liner.

Just had another chimney company out. They said the opening is 9x13 and I shouldn't have issues with installing a 6 inch insulated liner.
That is doubtful. I have never seen one that an insulated liner would fit in

I don’t wish to hijak this thread, but I have a question I believe applies.

My chimney has a 7x12” inside diameter. I wish to insert the Drolet 1800i (may be out of luck for the time being), but is the DuraLiner my best/only bet?

Duraliner oval is a good option. Another is a preinsulated liner that is properly ovalized.

Reactions: lawn717
I don’t wish to hijak this thread, but I have a question I believe applies.

My chimney has a 7x12” inside diameter. I wish to insert the Drolet 1800i (may be out of luck for the time being), but is the DuraLiner my best/only bet?
Dura liner is a good option. But any liner can be ovalized to work as well

Reactions: lawn717