Tesla "best car ever driven" by Consumer Reports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The demographic that can afford to buy one likely isn't concerned......​
Oh I agree!, Not in my league:eek:, BG, I'm not sure where I read it but I think, car and driver the price of the battery, but that was a bit ago... maybe that was a low end battery, not sure. I know I briefly looked at the sticker price and said to my self, the old Dodge will have to do;)

My neighbor's son lives in SF where he got a chance to try out the Tesla. He was up last weekend and I let him drive the Volt for comparison. He said he liked the Volt better. The Tesla felt too big for him. It was more like driving a boat. He liked the nimble handling and size of the Volt better. The price just got better too. Chevy lowered it by $5K.

My neighbor's son lives in SF where he got a chance to try out the Tesla. He was up last weekend and I let him drive the Volt for comparison. He said he liked the Volt better. The Tesla felt too big for him. It was more like driving a boat. He liked the nimble handling and size of the Volt better. The price just got better too. Chevy lowered it by $5K.

Do you have a volt? Where I live in northern michigan its what you call rural. And i thought that something like the chevy volt would be perfect for my wife. Her commute to work/school is to the next town about 14miles away. I figured with the volt she could drive there and back one a single charge easliy even in the winter with the heater running. Alot of things that ive read about the volt though make it out to be not a very good vehicle. But it seems for our situation where rarley do we travel over 15-20 miles one way it would be perfect for us.

Yes, we got a Volt a couple months ago. My wife and I love the car. It's a lot of fun to drive. So far the Volt fits in perfectly with our lifestyle and average driving. We are still on our second (full) tank of gas. Note that Chevy dropped the price on the car this year by several thousand.

I can see it now. The charging stations are the next meat markets. "Do you charge here often?".

actually thiink about the old "rt-66" mindset, if this becomes the "new norm" you may see a lot of "tourist trap" (and i mean that in a good way) locations popping up along the interstates next to the charging stations. i think though that for the electric's to rreally be viable for longer than commute traveling they have to get the range to at least close to 300 miles for a full charge, think about this , if you had to stop and charge @ 30 minutes every 150 miles travelling would take forever. but then i guess one could take the train but then one would ahve to rent a vehicle at their destination

personally i like a battery swap idea better were it to be feasible, but in order to do it the batteries would have to be of an indyustry wide standard and the vehicle would have to be made with a "think VCR eject" method of accessing the battery.

i dont see it as viable but man, if you could roll in, plug in a meter which calculated the "volume" in the battery, then pop it out, pop in a new one , pay the difference between the volume in the new battery and the old, and off ya go, and the "station" keeps your battery, charges it up and its ready then for the next car i would go into. aint gonna happen that way , but it would make it a lot faster a transition

Status
Not open for further replies.