Tesla EV - 400 Mile Range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Tesla has announced an upgrade that will provide a 400 mile range on a single charge for its Roadster EV.
Battery efficiencies that Tesla offers on its luxury cars today will be available to mainstream car buyers within a few years, at which point the argument for gas-powered vehicles will be very thin, even if oil prices stay low.
CNN - Tesla Now, that's what will make an EV work for me.

Sure, but in a blizzard at -20°F, with snow tires on, you'd probably only get 200 miles. ;lol

We'll never make it to grandma's house and back. This is why I drive a Volt.

Sure, but in a blizzard at -20°F, with snow tires on, you'd probably only get 200 miles.
Fortunately, Grandma has a 240V outlet, and you can recharge your Roadster while you're having Sunday dinner.
Debbie Downer x 3. :)

Problem is that if I want to head due east, say to Idaho I would be SOL with an all electric vehicle. The major cities and freeway corridors are getting charging stations, but not the heartland.

Thanks for the reminder woodgeek. I forgot grandma had a welder in her metal shop.

Reactions: woodgeek
Not much better out east. On the 100 mile road between the two biggest cites on the east coast....NYC and Philly, there are exactly 2 (reliably working, non-Tesla) fast DC chargers. And both of those are crummy 22 kW units (on a standard that allows up to 80 kW), and not easy-on easy off to the highway. :mad:

And none between Philly and Baltimore/DC. :mad:

Maryland and CT each have more than a dozen. :rolleyes:

I don't think I'd try to drive a Tesla Roadster in the snow, but maybe that's just me. A Model S on the other hand... :cool:

I'm really looking forward to the model E that they are anticipating will hit the market around 2017. I'm really interested in an all electric vehicle for my next car. If they can meet the price point of about 35K with 200 mile real world range, i'm sold.

I'm really looking forward to the model E that they are anticipating will hit the market around 2017. I'm really interested in an all electric vehicle for my next car. If they can meet the price point of about 35K with 200 mile real world range, i'm sold.
I think $35k and 200 mile ranges are further out than that, at least for a vehicle that's drivable for me. I sat in Model S not too long ago and left a puddle of drool in the front seat. I'd be in at $50, or maybe even $55k for that car. Elon is an amazing man whose name will be long remembered.

Reactions: valuman
Esp if he can stick his landing on Friday morning....
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...t_to_land_booster_on_a_floating_platform.html

Remember, building EVs is Elon's hobby, building a Mars base is his passion.
That's a great read. I didn't realize they were already on their fifth resupply mission or that they are ready to try a first stage recovery. That's WAY cool.

I have to say though, he's not any less passionate about EVs than he is about Space travel and settlement. He's just passionate about changing the world.

Step one: 'land' rocket stage on ocean...

Step one: 'land' rocket stage on ocean...

I knew they were doing wet landing recoveries, but didn't realize they were ready to try a dry landing already. This is a pretty good illustration of a major difference between public sector and privet sector thinking. Public sector = This is going to be expensive to do, let's find some more money and keep the program going. Private sector = This is too expensive, let's find a way to make the program more efficient and keep it going.

Now delayed again to 4:47 a.m. ET tomorrow AM.

The first stage missed the deck. "Close, but no cigar" was Elon's Tweet,

Bummer. But they are scheduled to launch again in 18 days....don't know if the drone ship will be ready.

What happens to that range should you turn a heater or air conditioner on the car?

On my last electric bill I paid .21 per kWh. I don't see electric cars around here anytime soon. Much of that cost is the $17 base charge, if I used more electricity the cost would be spread out over more kWh, but electricity is a killer up here.

Strikes me as somewhat odd that a full EV is judged by the same standards as a gasoline vehicle. I remember when cars did not have AC and heaters were fairly dismal in performance. I understand the desire for all the bells and whistles of modern vehicles, and likely that will be required to satisfy the whims and wants of today's traveling public. At the same time I heat the house with a wood stove in the living room, the shop with a wood gasification boiler, and these have no bells or whistles compared to today's LP or NG furnaces/boilers, and they both have all the inconveniences and labor of CSS wood, loading, ash removal, clean-up, along with the benefit of tremendous $$$ savings. "Suffering" some moderate inconvenience with a full EV, fueled by PV, would be a winner for me. A dependable 200 mile range probably would satisfy at least 75% of my driving, 400 mile range about 98% of my driving, leaving 2% for driving trip vacations. And for that 2% a spare gasoline powered vehicle left to age gracefully, or a rental vehicle, would be fully satisfactory. I expect our next car to be full EV.

The cost of electricity for me is now 6x the cost of natural gas per btu. If people were smart enough to do the math and had a source of NG they would go NG long before electric.

As the infrastructure ages and the demand for electricity goes up, I can't see it getting any cheaper.

And im waiting to see those new specs for the 2016 model ,supposedly out at 9Pm Jan 11 2015.

GM will be introducing a 200 Mile all electric any day now. Supposed to be around $30000

Code Name: Chevy Bolt

Characters_bolt.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.