test in progress.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea!
That stove might be a bit too much for a room that size..

trailblaze said:
BeGreen said:
Time to shut her down, the walls are getting too warm. Seems like a wall shield is in order.

Can you be more specific about the location of the temperature readings in relation to the stove? It would also be good to have specific distances listed so that other CDW owners can assess their options for corner installations.

the walls are hottest ( 183) near the level where the top of the side load door is and slightly upwards, but once i clear the stove height and just follow the stove pipe... they drop to 130's by the ceiling

the left side rear corner is 14.5 inches to the wall.... as you can see in the pics, the left side only is closest to the wall at the rear most left side...

going straight out the back and from the right corner i'm at 21" -18" from the top/ rear edge of the stove top, now as it goes to the right side the rear heat shield get closer by 2-3 inches... but the wall back there peaked about the same height as the left side but at 174 degrees....

Hm, I am no expert but I think that it is the stove itself not the stove pipe that is heating up the wall. You do have a back shield. My wall gets pretty warm at the stove height & about a foot above...I would say hot yet I can still touch it no problem....also I have 1" air gap.

yeah i'm thinking the stove is whats heating it up too hot.... i think a stove pipe shield for 35 bucks would help a little, but the biggest thing is to get some wall shields just off the floor to about 6-8 inches above my stove height....with a 1" air gap...

think that will do the trick to make this safe?

now for the material.... tile, metal, rock??? hmmm

trailblaze said:
BeGreen said:
Time to shut her down, the walls are getting too warm. Seems like a wall shield is in order.

Can you be more specific about the location of the temperature readings in relation to the stove? It would also be good to have specific distances listed so that other CDW owners can assess their options for corner installations.

the walls are hottest ( 183) near the level where the top of the side load door is and slightly upwards, but once i clear the stove height and just follow the stove pipe... they drop to 130's by the ceiling

the left side rear corner is 14.5 inches to the wall.... as you can see in the pics, the left side only is closest to the wall at the rear most left side...

going straight out the back and from the right corner i'm at 21" -18" from the top/ rear edge of the stove top, now as it goes to the right side the rear heat shield get closer by 2-3 inches... but the wall back there peaked about the same height as the left side but at 174 degrees....

Good info trailblaze. I knew these stove got hot in the back where the everburn action occurs, but it sounds like the loading door side needs to be watched also.

yeah, it's hot on that side...

i've got the stove a little less hot now... the walls have cooled to 160's.... and it's not getting any hotter tonight, so i think i can sleep safely now...

fire won't last much more than 3 hours but... with some shields i think i can heat her up again to get that everburn blasting and achieve hopefully an 8 hour burn time..

trailblaze said:
yeah i'm thinking the stove is whats heating it up too hot.... i think a stove pipe shield for 35 bucks would help a little, but the biggest thing is to get some wall shields just off the floor to about 6-8 inches above my stove height....with a 1" air gap...

think that will do the trick to make this safe?

now for the material.... tile, metal, rock??? hmmm

Metal, I say...about 2' width right across that wall at stove height (quick & least expensive) Fire code & Insurance does come to mind :gulp:

The wall shield construction is your call. I like myzamboni's stainless shield, but we've seen some very nice tile and stone shields too.

Excellent experiment.

That yielded some good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.