tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tfdchief said:
So I am mustering all my strength for this one, but I know I can do it.

Steve, I have no doubt that you will get back on that horse, so to speak, but be aware, small bumps will be very uncomfortable for a while. Don't rush into it. It will inflame the area, and that is not a good thing. It WILL come with time.

I agree Jags. It is like wood. It needs time for Mother Nature to do her thing.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Dennis, I hope I season like ash, not oak :exclaim: Thanks Jags, I will try to take it easy.

snowleopard said:
Breaking news: A 2-seater private plane has crashed into a cemetery. The fire department has reported recovering over 300 bodies, and are still digging.

No-one can say they're not go-getters, those guys and gals. If firemen were a dog, I think they'd be black Labs.

:) :) :)

As always Rick and Dennis offer good and sage advice . . . take the time to heal, but do not fear getting back on the proverbial horse, learn the lesson well and take one day at a time. The truth of the matter is none of us are as young as we were a day ago . . . we're all getting older and hopefully learning life's lessons . . . I figure I should be pretty darn smart by the time I die. Another truth is that just about any activity involves some risk of injury -- heck, I could have a car swerve into my lane on the way home from work tonight and get seriously injured -- what is meant to be will be. In the meantime, we're keeping you in our thoughts . . . and continuing to stand by with the updates . . . since I suspect many of us have had close calls or been seriously injured in the past as well.

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Dennis, I hope I season like ash, not oak :exclaim: Thanks Jags, I will try to take it easy.

I'd be more concerned that Dennis wants to split you into four pieces and set you on fire in 12-18 months. If he arrives at your door with a splitter, don't open the door and just point him in the direction of your bucked wood. :)

sorry to hear you are down....i had three compression fractures, along with three others when i fell from the roof in 2001. They put me in a Jewit brace (sp?) for about 3 months. I just had a check on my spine and my compression fractures never healed. They're bothersome sometimes but then again, i try not to agrivate them much. Hope you have a compleate or complete as possible recovery. Great to have assistance and help to get you through.

cass

Thanx for the reply Steve and I hope you didn't find it offensive.. Sounds like a freak accident and luckily you've survived it.. Hang in there!

Ray

Jake, You are right and I am trying to look at it that way. I am just afraid I am running out of time to get smart :smirk:

BrowningBAR, You might be right...lol If he does show up though, I will have to take my chances and invite him in because I would love to meet him and all of you in person someday.

tcassavaugh, Sorry to hear that. So did they have to fuse them after they wouldn't heal. I don't think mine are compression fractures.....they are just broken in pieces.

Ray, Not at all. I hope my story can keep the same thing from happening to someone else.

Better day today. hope that continues.

Thanks, Steve

I hope the better days continue, also. I am guessing that it will continue to trend upwards. What a sweetheart your grandson is! Letting him know that it makes you happy to see him happy might help him move on. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system. Here's a SJOTD that I hope will give both you and your wife a grin:

A man wasn’t feeling well so he went to the doctor.

After examining him the doctor took his wife aside, and said, “Your husband has a very sensitive heart. I am afraid he’s not going to make it, unless you treat him like a king, which means you are at his every beck and call 24 hours a day, and that he doesn’t have to do anything himself."

On the way home the husband asked with a note of concern, “What did he say?â€
“Wellâ€, the lady responded, “he said it looks like you probably won’t mak it.â€

snowleopard, Thanks. My family is the best. I love my grandson more than I can put in words, and we will be buddies no matter what. Thanks for the joke....it made us smile.

To all my friends here - Some of you know how my wood stacks are kind of random and many in my small yard. One of you said once they looked like yard ornaments. Just to come clean as a confirmed psycho wood burner, I have been doing my daily walking, in, and out, and around my stacks. It makes me feel good. Only fear is I'm getting to know them pretty well so I hope I can burn them come this winter - LOL. Steve

tfdchief said:
snowleopard, Thanks. My family is the best. I love my grandson more than I can put in words, and we will be buddies no matter what. Thanks for the joke....it made us smile.

To all my friends here - Some of you know how my wood stacks are kind of random and many in my small yard. One of you said once they looked like yard ornaments. Just to come clean as a confirmed psycho wood burner, I have been doing my daily walking, in, and out, and around my stacks. It makes me feel good. Only fear is I'm getting to know them pretty well so I hope I can burn them come this winter - LOL. Steve
Just don't give 'em names, Steve. Did that with our beef cattle once as a kid. Makes it a little harder...

Danno77 said:
tfdchief said:

Just don't give 'em names, Steve. Did that with our beef cattle once as a kid. Makes it a little harder...
Good advise Danno ;-P I may already be in trouble 'cause I sort of named them already, if dates count. Oh well, if I can't bring myself to burn them, you guys will probably all pitch in and come take it all off my hands, right? :)

Absolutely :lol:

If I may briefly threadjack--Wendell, are you fully recovered now from the Great Flying Mattress Catapult Incident?

snowleopard said:
If I may briefly threadjack--Wendell, are you fully recovered now from the Great Flying Mattress Catapult Incident?

Yes, I am. In fact, I managed to escape any scar tissue of any kind. Thanks for asking.

tfdchief said:

My wife thinks I am crazy as I like to walk around the stacks and shelter and inspect my wood.. Just can't help myself but I sleep better at night afterwards lol..

Ray

tfdchief said:
Danno77 said:
tfdchief said:

Good advise Danno ;-P I may already be in trouble 'cause I sort of named them already, if dates count. Oh well, if I can't bring myself to burn them, you guys will probably all pitch in and come take it all off my hands, right? :)

And your address is.... ;-)

I'm glad that your feeling better. Just remember - Baby steps!! I'll be looking forward to your prognosis in August.

Thanks PJF1313 but I think I will wait to give all you wood scroungers my address until I am sure I can't burn it. My wife has already said she would throw the first few loads in and maybe I could get used to it gradually. :)

My stacks have names. October/November/December. January/February. March/April/May.

I just stumbled on this thread, so apologies for being late to the party, so to speak. Steve, I don't know you, but I want to send my best wishes in your recovery. We do share a couple things, one being Hearth members. Another...

I am a 16 year firefighter myself, all volunteer, now retired. The bond firefighters share is special.

I want to tell you to keep your spirits up. Tell yourself you are going to again do all of the things dear to your heart. Don't accept anything else. With that, a story:

My brother Wes was mauled by a large grizzly bear two months ago while he was hunting. The bear pulled him off of his snowmobile while he was parked, admittedly too close, to the bear. The 9 foot boar bit a large chunk out of his left thigh, rolled him over and went for his face. Is less than 20 seconds the bear tore his entire lower jaw off of his face, ear to ear. 3/4 of his tongue was removed when the jaw ripped free and his left eye exploded into his sinus cavity with the impact. A gaping hole was left with the jaw bone gone, exposing his entire throat. Loose skin hanging like curtains was all that remained from his upper lip down to his adams apple.

His two partners, one that happend to be a dentist, the other in dental school, attended to him 50 miles from town in the middle of nowhere. They packed snow around his face and throat, applying pressure to keep him from bleeding out. A frantic call was made to me via ham radio, and I dispatched a helicopter and a doctor to the accident scene, and he was flown back to Nome. An hour later he was on his way to Anchorage, and promptly rerouted to Harborview medical center in Seattle via lear jet. Wes never lost consciousness. He walked to the chopper.

Tomorrow, Thursday, Wes undergoes his 9th surgery in two months. At the moment, he breathes through a trach, sees through one eye, and eats via a stomach tube. He cannot talk, so he writes me and others most every night via computer. He has had multiple skin grafts. A 9" section of his left lower leg bone was harvested, cut and shaped and surgically installed as his new lower jaw. This surgery alone took 11 hours. I was there for that one.

We all know he has a long road ahead. But we are optimistic. And he is especially upbeat. He is still at Harborview. We all are hoping he can return to Alaska here soon.

The end of this story finishes with the fact that Wes is a 32 year firefighter, still active, and a 10 year volunteer EMT II. Five of those firefighter years he served as Chief.

So there you go, a bond, in more ways than one. I hope this story will help lighten your healing days. Like my brother, be thankful for being alive. The alternative is unacceptable.

I shall keep you in my thoughts and prayers. All the best.

Nate
Nome Alaska

Nate, I am glad you found my thread, late or otherwise. I know that members will tire of it, but I value looking at it everyday. It inspires me and uplifts me. It gives me the strength to fight one more day. Your story makes me almost ashamed to share my problems. Your brother is an incredible man (firefighters usually are). You tell him I will be praying for him everyday as I ask God to continue to help me heal. I thought I was in bad shape. Your brother has more guts than I do and thank God he is alive.

raybonz said:
tfdchief said:

My wife thinks I am crazy as I like to walk around the stacks and shelter and inspect my wood.. Just can't help myself but I sleep better at night afterwards lol..

Ray

I don't think you're crazy . . . normal guys frequently inspect their wood. I know I check my wood often . . . more out of habit rather than a fear it will not be ready or is being stolen or eaten . . . it's just a good feeling to see all that wood stacked and ready for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.