thanks for the inspiration and support . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen,

This last week and a half would have been a lot tougher without the support and ideas I've found here. Between the cold temps and the broken down boiler, I have had my moments, but I grabbed on and held on tight on the forum and didn't feel like I was going it alone.

Insurance company made the call to pay for the boiler, and work should start in a day or two. Meanwhile, I've got a month's worth of firewood on my porches, and three days stacked in my sunroom. I pulled six loads up the hill yesterday at -20, and chopped/stacked most of that today at -15, and came inside when the backs of my legs started to tingle a warning. Getting up off the couch to do that was easier knowing that you'all were doing your own versions of doing what had to be done, so I'd better, too.

Sitting in front of a beautiful bed of coals w/a big cup of hot cocoa and a dollop of whipped cream, getting ready to read a great yarn. It's a short story I read when I was a kid, and it probably had a more profound effect on my life than I'll ever really know. I just found it on the 'net. This link to it is my thank-you gift to you; I hope at least a few of you read this in your own Nests, and enjoy. and it starts out like this:

Pa had sent me out to get an extra pail of air.

Here's the rest:
http://www.webscription.net/chapters/0743498747/0743498747___6.htm

Wow, Fritz Leiber!! Great short story!

I went through an intense science fiction period of my life long ago, before all the great writers turned to the much more lucrative "sword and sorcerer" stuff, and one novel that I really liked was Leiber's "Gather, Darkness." I looked and looked in libraries and book stores for other books by him, but pre-Internet, I never found any. Many years later, when I had to move twice in recent years and had to drastically thin my book collection, most of my science fiction had to go, but "Gather, Darkness" was one I couldn't dispose of and I have it upstairs somewhere now.

So thank you very, very much for bringing him back to my attention with this marvelous story.

We're way off the topic of wood-burning here so I shouldn't prolong this, but I wonder if the Powers That Be would indulge us long enough for you to say a little bit about why this story had such a profound effect on you. To me, it's a bit like Samuel Beckett, or even "On the Beach," with an improbable happy ending tacked on.

Thanks VERY much for sharing this. I'm really thrilled.

Nice story, thanks. It makes -20F seem positively balmy. Stay warm tonight.

snowleopard, the warmth after hauling that wood in the cold must have felt terrific! Glad you are staying warm.

gyrfalcon said:
Wow, Fritz Leiber!! Great short story!

I went through an intense science fiction period of my life long ago, before all the great writers turned to the much more lucrative "sword and sorcerer" stuff, and one novel that I really liked was Leiber's "Gather, Darkness." I looked and looked in libraries and book stores for other books by him, but pre-Internet, I never found any. Many years later, when I had to move twice in recent years and had to drastically thin my book collection, most of my science fiction had to go, but "Gather, Darkness" was one I couldn't dispose of and I have it upstairs somewhere now.

So thank you very, very much for bringing him back to my attention with this marvelous story.

We're way off the topic of wood-burning here so I shouldn't prolong this, but I wonder if the Powers That Be would indulge us long enough for you to say a little bit about why this story had such a profound effect on you. To me, it's a bit like Samuel Beckett, or even "On the Beach," with an improbable happy ending tacked on.

Thanks VERY much for sharing this. I'm really thrilled.

You're very welcome; I'm glad you enjoyed this story. Will watch for `Gather, Darkness". (BTW, I heard that Heinlein's estate agreed to let Spider Robinson finish his unfinished, set-aside work. Can't wait to get my hands on that!)

What inspired me about this story? (since this thread hasn't been banished to the Dark Beyond the Stars yet): caution--spoilers--go read the story first!
the faith of the fire keeper--just kept that fire alive, "the fire must never be allowed to go out";
the `courage is like a ball' analogy; I was trying to explain that concept to my son not long ago, which is when it struck me how that story had worked its way inside me and helped shape me;
the difference between the people who huddled, waiting for help, and those who strived to stay alive under improbably slim chances;
the idea that I could be one of those survivors, if I keep my wits about me;
the most touching part of the story, when the father knows that something is out there moving towards the nest, and is trying to honor what they had with his storyelling, trying to give them one last gift of himself as they await the possible end of it all; that's the coolest part of the story to me.

Dennis and BeGreen, thanks for your responses and well wishes. Made it through that snap, and it looks like the rest of the week is staying warm-ish.

Dave, funny!

Dennis, enjoy your last day on your old hip. Monday is when things start to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.