That pile of rounds finally changes shape, and grows.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I am finally getting a chance to post a few picks of some work done over the last few weeks. I got those rounds all split and stacked over Thanksgiving weekend. Then I have been adding to the pile over the last week with some slab wood I found a great deal on. Here is a few pics of the slabwood I found such a good deal on. So nice to not have to do any cutting. It is already cut to 12-16". $7 a load, but I give him $10 a load to help me load it. I stand in the truck and he hands it up to me. I got two more loads today. Averaging 1.5 face cord a load. Six total loads so far. So I have about 9 face cord at $10 a load. That's $60 total. :) Saaawwwweeeeet! I told him I would probably see him next week if we didn't get to much snow. Time for me to get back to my real job. :shut:

Attachments

• DSCF1764 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1764 (800x600).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 665
  • DSCF1766 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1766 (800x600).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 678
  • DSCF1765 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1765 (800x600).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 678
Nice. Are you planning on mixing the slabwood with the other wood for burning?

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice. Are you planning on mixing the slabwood with the other wood for burning?

Yes. The slab wood is for next year. Actually all the wood outside is next years. I will let it dry outside until next fall. Then I will burn it by mixing it in with White Ash. I usually do a 25% White Pine with a 75% White Ash. These types of wood are free to me when I cut it myself. I am lucky to have some wooded land in the family. But this slab wood is so cheap and already cut to length. I can not turn that down. All I have to do is stack it. Just started doing this slab wood last week. We will see how it goes. It will burn fast when dry, but I can always burn it when I am around to tend the fire. And use more of the hardwood for longer burns when sleeping or at work.

Lots of folks burn slab wood. I fondly recall when I was a bit younger and sawed lumber for a living when lots of folks would come after slab wood. Many, many people burned that 100%. Just have to be careful to not load the stove completely with slabs else overfiring might be a possibility.

Thats a good bit of wood. I never get tired of looking at all the pics everyday that are posted here.

I hear that Dennis. Thanks for the advice. Always like to hear from someone who has burned wood longer than I have lived. And I will listen to you. I have listened to you more since I joined this forum than you know. And I appreciate all the advice on burnin. One day I will get a few years ahead. Well, not as far ahead as you. ;-) Right now I have a hard time getting one year ahead. But, I have my wood done for next year now. :) (Although, I will probably add three more face cord of good Ash cord wood just to be sure. :lol:) I like to cut in December and I have a vacation coming up through both the holidays. :ahhh: I love taking a vacation from around Dec. 23rd through Jan. 2nd. First - relax. Second - cut wood. Third - play with the kids. Fourth - drink a few beers and eat some tasty snacks with wife after kids have gone to bed. Fifth - Repeat each day for about 12 days straight. My gassification boiler is less prone to overfiring, but the real dry wood can make it gasp for oxygen every once and a while if you have the intake "damper" open to much. But I have had no problems since I shut the damper down to about 60% closed since the first time it happened. That fan on this style boiler sends a lot of air in.

Thank you Gasifier. That also sounds like a great vacation. It is not difficult to get ahead of me now. I keep selling and giving away wood... Got to get busy this winter for sure.

That looks to me like a real respectable bunch of wood fuel. Good job on all the work! I dig the side extenders on the pickup truck - innovation and the right price.

I have never bought wood, but at $10 a load I probably would.

Thank you Gasifier. That also sounds like a great vacation. It is not difficult to get ahead of me now. I keep selling and giving away wood… Got to get busy this winter for sure.

Nice of you to give some wood away if someone is in need Dennis. But if you can sell much more of it and put that money under your mattress for a day when you or your wife need it, that would be nice for both of you. Annnnd, you can also use it to spoil that new grand daughter of yours. Now, if her parents accuse you of spoiling her of course, that would be changed to mean you could use it to show her how much you love her. ;-)

That looks to me like a real respectable bunch of wood fuel. Good job on all the work! I dig the side extenders on the pickup truck - innovation and the right price.

Well thanks Gark. I really enjoy cutting, splitting, and stacking the cord wood. But man, when you only have to stack it, like with the slab wood, is it ever easier. :lol: I have used that O.S.B. sheeting several times now. :) As you can see in the pics, it really helps to get a lot more on the truck.

Well we do like to put away a dollar or two once in a while.

I don't know why I always get a good feeling looking at a pile of CSS fire wood.???
Maybe it's because I know the hard, physical work involved to get it to that stage.
But it's fun & rewarding work for lots of us.

Just feels good. A common thread amongst many of us maybe.
At the rate yo are going, you'll be ahead in no time.
Looks great. Love the side boards & rear window protector. Headlights pointing up, good load :)
Good job!

Gasifier said:
I am finally getting a chance to post a few picks of some work done over the last few weeks. I got those rounds all split and stacked over Thanksgiving weekend. Then I have been adding to the pile over the last week with some slab wood I found a great deal on. Here is a few pics of the slabwood I found such a good deal on. So nice to not have to do any cutting. It is already cut to 12-16". $7 a load, but I give him $10 a load to help me load it. I stand in the truck and he hands it up to me. I got two more loads today. Averaging 1.5 face cord a load. Six total loads so far. So I have about 9 face cord at $10 a load. That's $60 total. :) Saaawwwweeeeet! I told him I would probably see him next week if we didn't get to much snow. Time for me to get back to my real job. :shut:

Sounds like a great deal Gasifier, how does that stack?

zap

Sounds like a great deal Gasifier, how does that stack?

Take a look at the third picture in the original post. Kind of far a way, but the stuff on the left is the slab wood.

bogydave said:
I don't know why I always get a good feeling looking at a pile of CSS fire wood.???
Maybe it's because I know the hard, physical work involved to get it to that stage.
But it's fun & rewarding work for lots of us.

Just feels good. A common thread amongst many of us maybe.
At the rate yo are going, you'll be ahead in no time.
Looks great. Love the side boards & rear window protector. Headlights pointing up, good load :)
Good job!

I hear ya . . . looking at cut trees or bucked up wood is OK . . . but you're absolutely right . . . you see a stack of cut, split and stacked wood and there really is a good feeling -- the feeling that this person is prepared for the upcoming winter.

Those slabs for $10 a load wouldn't happen to be on Long Island?

nsfd95 said:

nsfd. I wish, for your sake, that they were there as well. Got Amish? :) I am on the Canadian border in a place where there are a lot of Amish around. This is just one more way for them to make some money on the wood that they build and sell product with. It saves me so much work, and just as important, time, I think I am going to get some more next week. Hopefully we won't get to much snow between now and then.

Gasifier said:
nsfd95 said:

nsfd. I wish, for your sake, that they were there as well. Got Amish? :) I am on the Canadian border in a place where there are a lot of Amish around. This is just one more way for them to make some money on the wood that they build and sell product with. It saves me so much work, and just as important, time, I think I am going to get some more next week. Hopefully we won't get to much snow between now and then.

I think they are calling for 3-5 inches starting Friday morning at 6 a.m.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.