The 2017 Firewood Wars have started!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FTG-05

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2014
TN
Started processing my firewood for 2017 the other day. Took a couple pictures of my processing area and want an assessment of how much work is in store for me this season.

First load of many of that Sugar Maple limb that came down a couple weeks ago. Some of you might recall my thread asking for identification and you guys came through, as usual.

Note that in this pic, those large rounds aren't from the tree or it's trunk, it's just the limb that broke and fell! You can see my 22 ton Huskee log splitter in the center background.

4BmUnEm.jpg

And in this shot, you can see a part of the view here plus this year's wood pile. Any guesses as to how many cords are in that pile?

ZFjk3uR.jpg

That pile consists of the Sugar Maple already mentioned, a Hickory tree I took down a couple months ago and a White Oak that came down in a wind storm last May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soundchasm
I'll guess at 2 cords as well. A little late in the game to be splitting 2017 wood. Keep your chimney cleaned

Are you a time traveler or am I just realizing that we are in a different year?

I'll guess at 2 cords as well. A little late in the game to be splitting 2017 wood. Keep your chimney cleaned

Are you a time traveler or am I just realizing that we are in a different year?

The year refers to the date of the Wars AKA my yearly firewood processing season. In this case late fall 2017, winter of 2017/2018 and early spring 2018. I don't process firewood during the hot and humid TN spring and summers.

I would guess that this year's firewood won't be needed and/or used until late fall 2021 at the earliest or more probably 2022.

Some random woodshed pics are below.

My Woodshed #1 built summer 2015, filled mostly with Hickory, Hackberry, some Poplar and that crap POS Tree of Heaven.

hNxxCHW.jpg

Pole barn:
mHtGlb7.jpg

My new woodshed, built late 2016. The bay on this end is now filled with Poplar, the 2nd from the end is half filled with part of that White Oak that came down early last Spring.

78P4z6s.jpg

What's not shown* is an old 12'x12' storage shed about 2/3's filled with Black Cherry, Poplar, Red Oak and Hickory. I put that up Jan 2014 and that's this years burning firewood heat.

* ETA: you can see part of the shed behind/in front of the RTV above the blue barrel cutoff.

2 cords huh? Is that the best guess?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I wish I had that much room for storage!

I certainly misunderstood your dating system. Nice setup you have there.

I certainly misunderstood your dating system. Nice setup you have there.
I also misunderstood it. I do like time travelers though

Color me jealous... :)

That's some serious storage.

What's that elevated enclosure on the left side of the barn, in the second picture, also to the left of the RTV? I believe I see a ladder going up to it. Deer blind?

The only time it becomes a war is if it's covered with ice or snow - Otherwise, where else would you rather be? Stuck in traffic? At a mall? The dentist? Or the worst of all, the DMV -

I also misunderstood it. I do like time travelers though

Thanks, I'll have to make sure to clarify what the date means in the future. Sorry, I can't figure out the multi-quote thing-ma-job here!

What's that elevated enclosure on the left side of the barn, in the second picture, also to the left of the RTV? I believe I see a ladder going up to it. Deer blind?

Thanks!

That's exactly right. I built that late 2013 as a deer blind. Liked to watch deer all the time but never shot them since I don't really care for the meat. Found a friend that could use the meat and I got three does from there last season in about 15 minutes.

Since I was using live bait, it was almost like cheating though!

The only time it becomes a war is if it's covered with ice or snow - Otherwise, where else would you rather be? Stuck in traffic? At a mall? The dentist? Or the worst of all, the DMV -

Ice and snow - NO! I don't even work when it's cold or wet. Cold = less than 50 degrees F (that's a positive number). If I wanted to do stuff when it's cold, I would have moved to North America Siberia (i.e. north of the TN/KY border) in the first place!

Nice shed FTG . . . one question: is it bigger on the inside?

I don't understand the question... ?

That's a line from the show "Doctor Who". Whenever somebody goes inside the phonebooth for the first time he says "It's bigger on the inside...".

I'm guessing two cords.

Start with the hickory. Get that stuff split and out of the weather immediate. It cannot handle water. Don't ask me how I know... TWICE!!

That's a line from the show "Doctor Who". Whenever somebody goes inside the phonebooth for the first time he says "It's bigger on the inside...".

I'm guessing two cords.

Start with the hickory. Get that stuff split and out of the weather immediate. It cannot handle water. Don't ask me how I know... TWICE!!

Ah ok, I've never watched Dr. Who.

And speaking of the hickory, I'm not so sure that's what it is, so I took some more pics of the wood pile and one tree in particular, so I'm going to ask for a favor:

- What's the ID of the big black tree trunk?
- With better pics of the wood pile - how much wood are we talking about here?

xAsKrER.jpg

The big tree trunk in this pic:
Gae4sqz.jpg

The cut end of the big tree trunk:

EHycaKR.jpg

Closeup of the bark:

EEZ35c3.jpg

And the inside of the 12x12 or 10x12 (I don't remember) old shed that I'll probably burn up this summer when I use all the firewood in it (note the wet and rotting wood floor on the right bottom).

BNutkJf.jpg

Thanks!

Big black trunk may be in red oak family. blackjack maybe? Closeup of end grain could confirm rays although they are less prominent in reds. Pile looks bigger in those pictures, camera tricks. Are you a realtor?:p

Ben, I'll take some more pics here shortly. It will be easy since I left my glasses and wallet up there anyway.... :)

No, no realtor. Just taking different pics for different purposes.

First set: tractor-centric
2nd set: wood pile-centric

Red Ok, huh? That's good fire wood right? Seasons really really fast, like it should be ready the first week of Jan or so?

Ben, I'll take some more pics here shortly. It will be easy since I left my glasses and wallet up there anyway.... :)

No, no realtor. Just taking different pics for different purposes.

First set: tractor-centric
2nd set: wood pile-centric

Red Ok, huh? That's good fire wood right? Seasons really really fast, like it should be ready the first week of Jan or so?

Haha yeah Jan of 2020...

I was just bustin chops about photos. You know how a realtor can make a 500sqft studio look like 2500sqft.

Hopefully you can find your wallet without your glasses::-)

As Soundchasm mentioned . . . a Doctor Who reference . . . tying in with the whole time machine reference. I realize my reference may have been all wibbly wobbily timey wimey. ;)

More pics for you:

Closeup of the tree trunk:

CaGf4T7.jpg

Another trunk end grain pic, this time from firther up the tree:

dSHH3UM.jpg

And a third end:

KYfzEVb.jpg

Ed, more pics of the deer shooting house for you:

About 5x5, my first real construction project on my new to me (then) farm:

ja6USIl.jpg

View to the entrance. The ladder is a repurposed 6' AL ladder; the back supports were crushed, I really need to remove them so the ladder can't be used as standalone.

7NdJOMY.jpg

View from the bridge out over my pole barn field. You can see where I got the two pine tree wood this year. The tree center left is a pine-beetle-killed pine as well. I really need to harvest it this year. Just to the right of the center Black Walnut is the berm for my 165 yard rifle range.

tmoIvlQ.jpg

View of my pole barn interior from the deer blind. Extreme left: the brand new Sugar Maple is stacking up. To the extreme right you can see the Black Gum I had saw milled a year or so ago. Not visible to the right of the 10x12 platform leaning against the pole barn is my house and shop. The blue barrel cutoff (which I used as a mold for my lead, steel and concrete tractor wheel weights) is full of Black Walnut shavings. I use it for fire starter.

ozeokjv.jpg

Thanks for looking!