the 602 returns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I finally got the Jotul hooked up in the greenhouse yesterday. It's good to see it out from storage. I still need to get the wall shields constructed, but she'll be ready to burn soon. Love this little stove.

Attachments

• jotul602_gh_web.jpg
    jotul602_gh_web.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 631
  • jotul_gh_web.jpg
    jotul_gh_web.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 622
Stained cement slab, totally non-combustible.

Beautiful little stove what year? and is that an 8" flu pipe?

Really looks great in that spot!

BeGreen said:
I finally got the Jotul hooked up in the greenhouse yesterday. It's good to see it out from storage. I still need to get the wall shields constructed, but she'll be ready to burn soon. Love this little stove.
Looking good very nice stove and setup.

cptoneleg said:
Beautiful little stove what year? and is that an 8" flu pipe?

Thanks, it's an early 80's model, connected to double-wall 6" pipe.

Neat stove. Neat greenhouse. Neat view of the mountains through the window.

Pagey said:
Very nice. The pipe looks bigger than the stove!

Wonder when you should use double wall pipe mine is single??

cptoneleg said:
Pagey said:

Simply a matter of clearance issues. He likely wanted it close to the wall to take up less space. Very nice set up, very nice.

Looks great, BG, that was always my favorite color for the enameled 602's. Have fun firing it back up.

And be sure to post pics of it burning! :cheese:

SKIN052 said:
cptoneleg said:
Pagey said:

Simply a matter of clearance issues. He likely wanted it close to the wall to take up less space. Very nice set up, very nice.

Lots of room here for single wall. The picture is somewhat deceiving, the stack is 21" from combustibles. The double wall pipe is because of the short stack. It's only 10ft tall. The stove worked great on a 12' stack, so I'm hoping it will be happy with this setup. I'll do a small breakin fire tomorrow to test it out.

This is only for cold temp use. The greenhouse was at 85 today with 50 outside. If there is sun, it warms up nicely.

Winter is here with a vengeance suddenly. It has been hovering about 31 and snowing today, but then about 4pm the winds started. Now blowing at 20mph with higher gusts and temps have dropped to 25 with as low as 15 predicted in some areas. By late afternoon the greenhouse temps had dropped to 35. Time for the 602 to get in gear. She jumped into action like a racehorse at the gate. Within an hour the greenhouse was up to 50 with the help of this little instant heat machine. Burning madrona in her and I just hope it holds temps above freezing in the greehouse overnight because I am not getting up at 3am to feed this fire. I have to keep the home fires going with these winds and hope the power stays on. @Home we are a cozy 72°F and ready to start burning hardwood.

Attachments

• winter-arrives1web.jpg
    winter-arrives1web.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 385
Yeah I saw on the news that you guys were getting blasted. Keep those suckers cranking and the path to that wood shed clear.

Looks like you have another day of snow BG, then a letup and warmup. Must be a kick to light up the 602 again.

First, I have never seen a red 602 that is really sweet! Second, can you send some of that winter our way? These spring/fall temps in almost December are killing me!!!!

I figure this is a good test for the weekend cabin user. It's a 12 x 20 greenhouse. The test is bringing a place up from cold, with so so insulation (due to the greenhouse roof and lots of glass) and nasty weather. It's dropped to 24 outside, winds picking up to the point where we have had some heavy flower pots crashing on the porch. Greenhouse temp is rising, currently at about 56 °F.

Whoopsee, just lost power. Running the computer on the UPS now, so signing off. Wish us luck!

That's like seeing a picture of an old friend. We used to have a green enamel 602 back in the late 70's early 80's. The house we moved into in 1982 (and have been in since) was too large and drafty to heat with the 602, so we traded it in toward a larger stove when we moved. The house is no longer drafty, and the stove that replaced the 602 still does a great job heating it, but I've missed that little stove since.

So BeGreen . . . looks like you guys went from Spring to Winter with just a brief hint of Fall after not having much of any Summer.

BeGreen you are getting blasted by winter right now. Its turning cooler here but not like your getting blasted.

I saw the 602 in a store a few weeks ago and I was amazed how tiny that thing is. The stovepipe almost looks as big as the stove!

BeGreen said:
Time for the 602 to get in gear. She jumped into action like a racehorse at the gate.

That 602 has a great light show. It looks so Christmasy!!

Wow, an old 602 was the first stove that I had quite a ways back. Learned a lot since then, but theres a sweet spot in my heart for that sucker, well, mostly because it kept me warm. Bought it at a yard sale for something like fifty bucks.

BG, nice job, and thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.