The Beginnings Epic Rock Songs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about you guys and gals but I get goose bumps every time I listen to the first 2 minutes of, "Where the streets have no name" by U2

Really anything from the Joshua Tree or the live tour "Rattle and Hum"...brilliant work Eno did with them.

What's your favorite beginning of an epic rock song?

Reactions: aussiedog3
Let's see what else is epic in the beginning...

The layers of this song completely make me shiver...how they ever came up with this album from The Bends...guess they decided they didn't want to be the radio success poster child from 1995...funny, this album probably gets more airplay. The bass tone in this is just so perfect

So when I was 25 I did lights for the Paradise in Boston. My very first night there I did the lights for these guys...they were like 15 years old and came out and just rocked...and rocked and rocked. I had no idea who they were and they just blew me away 100%, perhaps my very best live show ever.

The Doors always had the best intros but this one...start the song off with a thunderstorm and killer bass line followed by a keyboard mimicking rain...so crazy good it makes me dizzy

I know this song has been played to death, but to guys my age it's one of the greatest. Not only is it a tribute to the death of Duane Allman, but it's also a reminder of the tragedy of Lynyrd Skynyrd who I regard as the greatest southern rock band ever.

Keith's riff opening Honky Tonk Women.

Keith's riff opening Start Me Up.

Keith's riff opening pretty much any tune.

And if ya like suffering in anticipation, Clapton. ;lol

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Keith's riff opening Honky Tonk Women.

Keith's riff opening Start Me Up.

Keith's riff opening pretty much any tune.

The Rolling Stones are played so often that it is easy to dismiss the genius of Keith's use of the Open G tuning. He is the bomb.

My favorite of all time. As much for the announcer as the music.

I'm a huge Terry Kath fan !!

Always been a big Cheap Trick fan. This song has a pretty good intro. Tom Petersson does some amazing things on that 12 string bass.

(Posted from my phone, apologies if the link doesn't work right).

The opening to round about by yes if pretty awesome. The whole song is awesome, but the intro is really cool.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Not much of an "intro", but the first couple notes of this song are unmistakable. I'm sure the big long epic intros sounded better on acid. I'm more of a get down to business kind of guy.

I just listened to the full 20:30 of Built To Spill's good cover of "Cortez the Killer". I love that song, even though Neil had a fair number of specious ideas about pre-Columbian civilizations :)

One of my favorite intros, favorite guitar solos, (heck favorite songs) of all time.......the live version just kicks ass.

Then you have Zeppelin, who had TONS of great intros to TONS of great songs...They were the KINGS of classy intros.....just about every song they ever sang kicked ass.....

Don't know about you guys and gals but I get goose bumps every time I listen to the first 2 minutes of, "Where the streets have no name" by U2

Really anything from the Joshua Tree or the live tour "Rattle and Hum"...brilliant work Eno did with them.

What's your favorite beginning of an epic rock song?
I can't stop myself. Really, there is little that I hate more than this jackass.

One of my favorite intros, favorite guitar solos, (heck favorite songs) of all time.......the live version just kicks ass.

Then you have Zeppelin, who had TONS of great intros to TONS of great songs...They were the KINGS of classy intros.....just about every song they ever sang kicked ass.....

When the Levy Breaks is one of the best intros EVER! Once again Scotty I bow down to you...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.