The Best Chains??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bobo said:
Yogi said:
Well thank you for the warm welcome Roo, and the avatar!!! I will use it proudly!!

Nice avatar there Yogi.

Wel thank you, thank you very much ther bobo, get out in the wood there much bobo?

BTW there bobo: 3120xp, what is that? is that some fancy Canadian motor cycle?

I think when bobo walks out in the woods ..ALL THE TREES JUST GIVE UP AND FALL DOWN !

Whoa! Another Poulan man. Old Yaller the 405+ Poulan Pro and his little brother the Woodshark 1975 say welcome to Huskey and Stihl land!

And by the way, my favorite chain is the sharp one.

bobo said:
I use 3/8 and 404 chain

Heck Bobo, if ya wanted a Stihl chain, they come on Stihl saws as standard equipment.

BrotherBart said:
Whoa! Another Poulan man. Old Yaller the 405+ Poulan Pro and his little brother the Woodshark 1975 say welcome to Huskey and Stihl land!

And by the way, my favorite chain is the sharp one.

Well, again, thank you all again for the warm welcome to the site, been reading about stoves for a while now, just ai'nt played with the saws to much, my wild thing rocks!!!! Expecially after my little Homelite Ranger died.

404, what kinda saw is that bobo?

bobo said:
BrotherBart said:
bobo said:
I use 3/8 and 404 chain

Heck Bobo, if ya wanted a Stihl chain, they come on Stihl saws as standard equipment.

I use Stihl chain on my Huskys and my Stihl's.

From what I am hearing here I am going to have to try one. This last couple of redesigned Oregon chains have been a PITA.

I didn't know they made anything bigger than the wild thing!!! What kinda saw do you really need?

NW Fuels said:
Alot of our Maple is 2-3 foot across. 28" bars. We have been ordering rolls of it for 29 years now. Never thought of changing.
Thomas
I run the same skip tooth chain also even on shorter bars to. Cuts fast and fast to fix if you hit something.

Yogi said:
I didn't know they made anything bigger than the wild thing!!! What kinda saw do you really need?

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but Yogi's high ratings of the "wild thing" made me take a little interest at sniffin' at the specs. I CAN'T find any! Even the Poulan website doesn't state hp ratings. The only thing I found is that at the BEGINING of the manual is states "For occasional use only". I can find cc's oil/gas ratio and stuff like that, but nothing for the motor head in me.

jags,

I found this.
Poulan Wild Thing- 40 cc, 18" bar. 50:1 12, 600 max rpm. 11.2 lbs It did say for "occasional use."
I also found a site that listed a Poulan Pro Wild thing. & it was listed at 2.6 CI/42cc, and also one that was listed at 34 cc w/ a 14" bar. But nothing else.

Jags said:
Yogi said:

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but Yogi's high ratings of the "wild thing" made me take a little interest at sniffin' at the specs. I CAN'T find any! Even the Poulan website doesn't state hp ratings. The only thing I found is that at the BEGINING of the manual is states "For occasional use only". I can find cc's oil/gas ratio and stuff like that, but nothing for the motor head in me.

I don't know what all ya need to know but most saw manufacturers don't publish HP numbers. Just CC's. Here is pretty much every thing you will ever find out about the Wild Thing:

MANUFACTURED BY: POULAN (ELECTROLUX)
NASHVILLE, ARKANSAS U.S.A.
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 2.5 cu. in. (40 cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated piston
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
WEIGHT : 10.5 lbs. (4.7 kg) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: Inertia activated
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Injection molded plastic
MAGNETO TYPE: Phelon electronic
CARBURETOR: Walbro WA
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Cellulose fiber element
STARTER TYPE: Automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic, gear driven
IGNITION TIMING: fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING: none
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Minimum 90
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Poulan two-stroke chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in. low profile
CHAIN TYPE: Oregon 91VJ
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 18 in. (45 cm)
COLOR SCHEME: Poulan Lime Green and Purple

bobo said:
The purple must be the selling point of that monster.

The bore on the Wild Thing is about the size of the bore of the carb on the 3120XP.

Attachments

• 3120xp.jpg
    3120xp.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 492
bobo that is some big hardwear. What do you do for a living?

NNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEE. How many cord a year do you do.

Every year it is different. We remove top's after the loggers are done. We also clean up windfalls that can make for alot of firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.