The BK King vs Quadrafire Adventure III?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not put the stove on the main level so you can enjoy it and not need to run the crap out of it? You can always add a stove in the basement if you make it a livable space. An unfinished basement is a pretty terrible place to heat from, heat rises but it also gets sucked through the basement walls at an alarming rate!

I ended up taking this to heart after doing more research. We are going to install a BK King in our den on the main floor - counting that floor and the upstairs we have about 3800 sq ft to heat. The deciding factor for me was how well the BK seems to do with ponderosa pine and doug fir (probably will be about 80% of what I burn. I plan on squeezing the BTU's out of it and a friend who has one said I should be able to find the sweet spot with the stove and loads so I can get on a 12 hour load cycle (that is what he does when it's real cold).

We are going to remove the gas fireplace and built-in shelving on the wall to make room and build a rock backing with a tiled hearthpad. Wish me luck and thanks for the input! It won't be cheap, but we will be happy to have wood heat and I already have about 5 cords split and stacked. Who knows.... if the wife likes it well enough maybe I can put another one in the basement and never see another $600 heating bill again!

sounds like you're on the right track to enjoying wood heat this winter. I tried heating from a basement with a wood stove, and while it "worked" with it downstairs it didn't work nearly as well as when I relocated it to the main floor.

I plan on squeezing the BTU's out of it and a friend who has one said I should be able to find the sweet spot with the stove and loads so I can get on a 12 hour load cycle (that is what he does when it's real cold).

Unfortunately, BK decided to remove the label from the thermostats so you will have to create your own mark on the dial to find this sweet spot each time. Like an oven with no temperature settings, how do you bake your cookies? Regardless, the BKs love softwood. That's about all I burn and it works just fine.

never see another $600 heating bill again!
And that's what its all about with really any stove, I would estimate my savings being around 8g so far since I switched to wood 4 years ago

Unfortunately, BK decided to remove the label from the thermostats so you will have to create your own mark on the dial to find this sweet spot each time. Like an oven with no temperature settings, how do you bake your cookies? Regardless, the BKs love softwood. That's about all I burn and it works just fine.
Ya, it's not a big deal at all... Don't be concerned about labeling. The stove pretty much runs itself!

I,ve owned a Quadra fire advenure 3 for one season and when it works it works great, but the thermostat control is always broke down for one reason or another and Quadra fire support sucks they always blame it on me, it's a good thing that the Axmen in Missoula stands behind the product and is helping as much as possible, buy the BK

Reactions: Tar12 and webby3650
I ended up taking this to heart after doing more research. We are going to install a BK King in our den on the main floor - counting that floor and the upstairs we have about 3800 sq ft to heat. The deciding factor for me was how well the BK seems to do with ponderosa pine and doug fir (probably will be about 80% of what I burn. I plan on squeezing the BTU's out of it and a friend who has one said I should be able to find the sweet spot with the stove and loads so I can get on a 12 hour load cycle (that is what he does when it's real cold).

We are going to remove the gas fireplace and built-in shelving on the wall to make room and build a rock backing with a tiled hearthpad. Wish me luck and thanks for the input! It won't be cheap, but we will be happy to have wood heat and I already have about 5 cords split and stacked. Who knows.... if the wife likes it well enough maybe I can put another one in the basement and never see another $600 heating bill again!

4000sf is a lot. You will probably need some fans to push cold air to the stove no matter what stove you get.

Yes, WA has some strict rules and only recently have wood furnaces started to clean up their act. I only know of this one that has accomplished the feat of getting under WA limits.

4.9 cubic feet with a 6" flue, 100,000 btu output. Your setup screams for this furnace.

I have to agree with this. I dont think OP will be happy with a wood stove no matter the make or model. Maybe get one for the living room in addition to a wood furnace?

Guys, this thread is from 2016. I’m betting the OP is not seeking advice on a wood stove purchase, anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.