The coffee thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Miss Silvia has been pulling yeoman's duty for the last 8 years as well!
View attachment 243946
Like probably everyone who has ever bought a single boiler expresso machine, I debated Gaggia Classic vs that Rancilio Silvia, for awhile. Eventually went Gaggia, for a few reasons I can’t even fully remember now, and did a wand upgrade, as that’s one area where the Classic lacks. But I see those Silvia’s and wonder...

Have you always used the Silvia? What do you see as it’s strong and weak points, vs any other single boiler machines?

Like probably everyone who has ever bought a single boiler expresso machine, I debated Gaggia Classic vs that Rancilio Silvia, for awhile. Eventually went Gaggia, for a few reasons I can’t even fully remember now, and did a wand upgrade, as that’s one area where the Classic lacks. But I see those Silvia’s and wonder...

Have you always used the Silvia? What do you see as it’s strong and weak points, vs any other single boiler machines?

I am looking into a Breville lately; the Breville Barista Express. Not decided yet.
upload_2019-5-8_23-56-59.jpeg

I started out with a Breville Cafe Roma, acutally had two of them, wore the first one out. The first thing I did was cut the bottom off the "crema enhancing'' pressurized filter basket so I could make actual espresso. With the pressurized basket you could throw sheep dung in there and it would look like and espresso! Was using a a cheap burr grinder that I can't recall the make of. Then bought the Rancilio Rocky grinder and used it for a year before I bought Miss Silvia. The Silvia has been around since 1997 and are now on version 5, but very little has changed in 22 years. Like anything, it takes a bit of practice to get the grind right, bit of temperature surfing to get the temps in the cup right. I usually preheat the the Silvia for at least 30 minutes( I have the machine on a smart outlet/home controller and scheduled to come on long before I get up. I wish the boiler was larger, I can only get a double shot off before the the thermo kicks in. Some day I'll insulate the boiler(v5 is now insulated) and build/add a PID when I have time/get bored/finish the 45 other projects I've got on the go! I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I never steam milk so the single boiler has been fine. With the small boiler(12 oz) capacity and 1100W element, recovery is quick between shots.
Now, once you start roasting your own beans, you'll never buy roasted coffee again. I haven't bought roasted beans in two years. Roasting my own has been an game changer for me. You decide how light or dark you want the roast, you always have fresh beans in the hopper, and you don't have to stand in coffee isle at the grocery store for 20 minutes trying to find that elusive bag that was roasted in the last week.

Reactions: Ashful
No grocery store hunting, here. I have two toasters from which I buy direct. Coffee is 2-3 days post-roasting when it hits my doorstep. Maybe I should take the plunge on roasting, but I already have too many hobbies to find enough time for sleeping or splitting firewood.

If you’re temp surfing, you’re in deep. Time to install that PID, Steve!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I tried buying from local which is a 10 minute walk away and really popular here in the valley. They roast a few times a week and supply a lot of shops in the area. I tried their beans but there is such a sour note in the espresso that I thought I was screwing up the shot somehow. I actually threw the bag of beans out. I tried their espresso and regular coffee and the same sour note is there - can't drink it. Sooo...I started roasting my own.

Some regional beans can be very acidic. That's ok with some folks, but I don't like high acid coffees and neither does my stomach.