The evils of black locust -- part 2, with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the blue flames off my Oak and the BL, my ash and elm and mulberry seem to have a much more yellow flame, I think the blue is a hotter flame.

PA. Woodsman said:
Last year I had a similiar problem with Black Locust; it was garage-kept and dry but just wouldn't burn very well and was a huge disappointment, knowing that I've burned it before with better results. I never did figure out what caused it but it also soured my opinion of Black Locust. Very strange indeed....

I'm not familiar with your stove. Is it stingy with air? That's the only reason I can think of to explain the wide variation in folks' experience burning this wood. It's always near the top of the list in wood rankings, of what most people like to burn.

lobsta1 said:
Dave,
My experience with locust & red oak that was split & stacked together at the same time is exactly the same as yours. I am burning it in an Englander NC13. I have enough draft to suck the door closed. I just don't think those two little air inlets in the doghouse give enough air to the wood itself.
Al

Your stove and mine are at the high end of the efficiency ratings, I think. I wonder if that's part of the problem. The stoves are designed for the average air requirements of most woods, and BL is too dense to burn in that range.

When I took that pic, the primary air was fully open.

I dont think your stove is the problem, pretty sure some people with your stoves burn BL.

Who said it's locust?? I think what we have is honey locust, and I love the stuff. Send some pictures of the stuff.

I live in western pa and will take all you do not want and have plenty of tradeables. I go out of my way for black locust. One wood that looks like black locust but is not is Sassafrass, very furrowed wood and is related to Black Locust. It does not burn as well but it is very light wood. Many people get them confused from the bark, black locust wood is greenish/yellow inside. Show us a picture of the bark and I can tell you in a minute.

dave11 said:
PA. Woodsman said:
Last year I had a similiar problem with Black Locust; it was garage-kept and dry but just wouldn't burn very well and was a huge disappointment, knowing that I've burned it before with better results. I never did figure out what caused it but it also soured my opinion of Black Locust. Very strange indeed....

I'm not familiar with your stove. Is it stingy with air? That's the only reason I can think of to explain the wide variation in folks' experience burning this wood. It's always near the top of the list in wood rankings, of what most people like to burn.

I burn it wide open just like I do most of what I burn unless I have to tone it down a little and have had this problem with Black Locust. Years ago I burned some that was really kick-ass stuff and lived up to its reputation, but the last batch that I got it was somewhat disappointing. And yes it is seasoned; I wonder if there could be variation from tree to tree of the same species?

Golfandwoodnut
Agree about the sassafras. Put a round in my stove the other day and it was damn near fireproof.

I have had that picture in my stove as well. same wood too, minus the maple. The stuff burns just funky. i would try to burn it by itself though, seems to do better when it has friends/family.

I put a huge piece in last night in my stove. It burned for hours and hours. You have to remember this is not like any other wood, it is more like coal, which is a good thing. It burns for a long time and you may have to replace other wood before it finishes. This is not a bad thing! It is more coals than flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.