The Face Behind the Name

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
:cheese: Its nice to actually see the face behind the name . Anyone else with a little Xmas spirit feel free to add their own pic. to the thread.
And yes I know I have a face only a mother can love.

All the best in the New Year everyone on Hearth and Earth. :lol:

Huffdawg

Attachments

• DSC_0267.jpg
    DSC_0267.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 881
huffdawg said:
:cheese: Its nice to actually see the face behind the name . Anyone else with a little Xmas spirit feel free to add their own pic. to the thread.

Huffdawg

Ok Huff now delete that one and try one of the "one Hot Momma" LOL

The only recent picture of me is out in the field wiping my ass......

*Sorry...couldn't resist*

Attachments

• IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 676
A little bit of sunshine from our summer vacation.

Attachments

• summer vac 2011 010.jpg
    summer vac 2011 010.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 686
HeatFarmer said:

that's funny stuff right there!!! LOL

huffdawg said:

Huffdawg
I bet you have to use that skidsteer to haul that chainsaw around. And i really think that saw is over kill for all that kindling it's laying on. Happy holidays
leaddog

opps, I just relized that you just cut up some wood and that's the chips. Big saw makes big chips.

A big saw does come in handy, I've got a 36in bar that I use once in a while. and those skidsteers really make moving wood alot easier.

Here you go..and cheers,
with some fresh bread out of the fire oven(my other pyro hobby).

Best to all.

Scott

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 607
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 589
Yup, sourdough, but not too sour(250 year old rye leaven starter, rather more nutty rye.
Only ingredients are flour(rye and hard red spring wheat), water, starter and salt.
Baked in outdoor wood fired oven, using mostly oak in winter, pine/maple in summer.
Of course a few brews are a must during the baking process...hot by the oven.

Scott

leaddog said:
huffdawg said:

Huffdawg
I bet you have to use that skidsteer to haul that chainsaw around. And i really think that saw is over kill for all that kindling it's laying on. Happy holidays
leaddog

opps, I just relized that you just cut up some wood and that's the chips. Big saw makes big chips.

A big saw does come in handy, I've got a 36in bar that I use once in a while. and those skidsteers really make moving wood alot easier.

I like the long bar there are plenty big tree's here , not as much bending dow for the smaller rounds.

skfire said:
Here you go..and cheers,
with some fresh bread out of the fire oven(my other pyro hobby).

Best to all.

Scott

Hey Scott
Looks like we have some stuff in comon.I live in Mountaintop Pa (NEPA) and I have an out door pizza/bread oven

Kemer said:
Hey Scott
Looks like we have some stuff in comon.I live in Mountaintop Pa (NEPA) and I have an out door pizza/bread oven

I think we spoke once regarding the Garn and I have definitely spoke to your brother regarding ovens and his P&M.
Yup seems we do have a lot in common, I am up in Damascus 22 miles north of Honesdale.

Scott

skfire said:
Kemer said:
Hey Scott

I think we spoke once regarding the Garn and I have definitely spoke to your brother regarding ovens and his P&M.
Yup seems we do have a lot in common, I am up in Damascus 22 miles north of Honesdale.

Scott

Did you guys build your own ovens.

Actually My brother and I started a company where we make precast ovens.I don't want to break any rules here but thy are quite clever.

huffdawg said:

I used a kit, from Superior clay(see the fire&baking; pix for inside look)
and then build a shell around it, did it wrong then demolished the shell, re did it and then built a shed over it.
Had a friend help with the masonry and another two buddies help with the shed.
If you want to make your own out of firebricks I HIGHLY recommend Alan Scott's book, "the bread builders".

Either way, lots of work to do it right(and u must otherwise it is a mess!!!), but there are a lot of nice kits out there(I think Kemer's brother may have a pretty nice kit out there).

Scott

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 634
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 596
  • baking.jpg
    baking.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 613
damn Scott, now I'm hungry!!!!!!!!

HeatFarmer said:

Hey, at least you can find your ass with both hands, not something everyone on here can say, lol. Good post, HF, Randy

Now I wish I had an Ass!

Attachments

• march 18 002 copy.jpg
    march 18 002 copy.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 556
Cool post Huff. I really don't want to post a picture of myself. And I definetey don't want to show you my ass! :lol: You guys are good. I get more laughs from hearth.com. No wonder it is pretty much the only website I spend any time on. I don't like to spend to much time on the computer, and I spend as little as possible watching T.V. Feel much better when I am outside. Hey, maybe eventually I will post a picture of me cutting or stacking some wood on your post. How's the system working for you Huff? Guys, I want to know more about these wood cooking ovens. Thanks for the reminder of that. I have been wanting to try that. Damn that bread looks good. I went to a car show not to far from the house last summer and the wife and kids and I wanted something for lunch. We looked over what was around and there was a guy selling personal pizzas that he was cooking in a wood fired oven that he had built and mounted on a trailer. Had it all done up nice on the outside with bricks, chimney etc. Pizza was great! $6 for a pizza. We bought four of them and it was enough for the five of us. Very cool. Anyway, I want something like that for my back porch. I thought about one for the back yard, but up on the covered porch I could get a lot more use out of it year round. I will now start my research. AHhhh. I am getting excited already. Another hobby that has to do with burning wood. Fire just has a spell over me. I can't explain it.

Kemer said:
Actually My brother and I started a company where we make precast ovens.I don't want to break any rules here but thy are quite clever.

Tell me more Scott. Reason I ask is that we are currently in the process of installing a Garn for a lady who is putting up a scratch bakery/organic farm/greenhouse near Big Rapids Mich. She has a huge wood fired bread oven much like the one in the pictures. We fired up the greenhouse last week and are waiting for insulation to get completed in the bakery before piping the manifold up in there. She was describing the bread making process to us and it sounds really interesting.

Now I have to ask...........where does one get 200+ year old starter from?

Season's Greetings to all from the Mrs and me!!

PS: You can send me a loaf of that bread anytime for some "field testing". ;)

Attachments

• Christmas card S&K 2011 031.jpg
    Christmas card S&K 2011 031.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 488
Thanks SKfire and Kemer. Kemer, I sent you a PM for information about your ovens. Any information you and SKfire can provide through a PM would be appreciated.

skfire said:
huffdawg said:

I used a kit, from Superior clay(see the fire&baking; pix for inside look)
and then build a shell around it, did it wrong then demolished the shell, re did it and then built a shed over it.
Had a friend help with the masonry and another two buddies help with the shed.
If you want to make your own out of firebricks I HIGHLY recommend Alan Scott's book, "the bread builders".

Either way, lots of work to do it right(and u must otherwise it is a mess!!!), but there are a lot of nice kits out there(I think Kemer's brother may have a pretty nice kit out there).

Scott

Gosh damn it. Because I happened to stumble across this site it cost me around $15'000 now I see that oven and looks like this site will cost me a few more G's.
and another bloody project. I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel
:roll:

Huff

heaterman said:
Kemer said:

Tell me more Scott. Reason I ask is that we are currently in the process of installing a Garn for a lady who is putting up a scratch bakery/organic farm/greenhouse near Big Rapids Mich. She has a huge wood fired bread oven much like the one in the pictures. We fired up the greenhouse last week and are waiting for insulation to get completed in the bakery before piping the manifold up in there. She was describing the bread making process to us and it sounds really interesting.

Now I have to ask...........where does one get 200+ year old starter from?

Heaterman, I think you probably meant Kemer, it his brother and him that have the kits. If not please let me know what I can help with, I do have some plans and all the data from my "disaster" and final install..Btw if you PM me an address I will FED EX a 2lb loaf of rye for field testing!! It lasts 10 days easy and actually tastes better and sweeter on day 3 or 4. Seriously.

Regarding the 200+ old starter,...for starters, King Arthur sells a very old starter(I think around 250 years old....but mainly one gets it from other bakers that have the same "disease" for funk(the good stuff). My basic and first starter for one, I got from a friend who got it from a friend from France over 25 years ago and has kept it going. I have kept some of the original mother, but I have improvised(failed some along the way), but I came up with a very good rye variation which I have had good success with.
Bottom line, IMHO, the age is not as relevant as the quality of the process of making it and feeding it, but generally older is "funkier"(some bakers would abuse me for that statement though). I personally prefer less sour starters and more of the levain, "milder, nuttier flavor type.

One thing about fire baking bread(pizzas are easy)...timing and planning and ability to improvise is key. Practice is essential and one must endure failure(I know). Knowing your oven, weather and dough is paramount, sort of like knowing your boiler, system and fuel.
The oven has to be ready at the same time the dough has reached optimum proofing/rise...That window is missed and God help the fool....
I have made some magnificent doorstops....but when it works.....Dear Lord...the smell alone will have every bear in the woods at my oven. My kids love nothing better than that fresh rye bread with butter and jam, or the rustic ciabattta style dipped in olive oil. They may leave some for the baker...and the delivery to the neighbors.

Gasifier PM me with any data you may need.

Scott

ps, pix attached of innards/kit/base and first veneer, which looked great, but the sides cracked after a few fires and weather changes, so I stripped them down to insulation(saved the facade..not easily!!, packed another 6 inches of vermiculite, covered with bluestone and then build a roof over it. The mason helping me is the 78 year old(at the time) French Canadian mason that did my house stone work & Rumford fireplace originally. He helped by yelling at me, showing me what I did wrong and by tearing it down and re doing 10X better in a ridiculous fraction of the time...I would spend 5 hours and then he would redo it in 1....useless I felt, but in the end I started getting it....still lame though.
One major consideration when building an oven outside,insulate massively and cover, cover, cover.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg