The fan on the floor trick OVERFIRE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I take a really good look at every morning. Seems clean. It was just installed on Friday. My wood is good and dry. Burns well, hot. Starts right up easy.
You pull the pipe every morning?

No. I finger it from inside a top plate.
Ok so the bottom inch or so is clean. You really need to pull the pipe regularly and check it untill you are sure everything is working as it should. You also need a thermometer so you know if you are running hot enough to stay above the condensation point.

So if you drug the stove in Friday and hooked it up, how do you know the stove well enough to know it was the fan causing this situation?

Reactions: bholler
So if you drug the stove in Friday and hooked it up, how do you know the stove well enough to know it was the fan causing this situation?
I missed that part. So I doubt it is dirty in that case. But clearly not long enough to know the stove and install well.

Reactions: webby3650
Ok so the bottom inch or so is clean. You really need to pull the pipe regularly and check it untill you are sure everything is working as it should. You also need a thermometer so you know if you are running hot enough to stay above the condensation point.
Okay will do as soon as it warms up a little. So far everything has been running like a charm.

I’m a cook and no stranger to wood burning appliances. I didnt just drag this thing in. It’s been sitting around and I’ve been looking at it for 5 years. I’ve read everything I could find and watched a thousand YouTube videos.
Ever since I got her hooked up Friday morning I did five break in fires/ cool downs and than have been burning her a lot ever since.

Okay will do as soon as it warms up a little. So far everything has been running like a charm.
Overfiring to the point of glowing pipe within the first week is not running like a charm. It is pretty dangerous and you need a way to monitor temps.

Reactions: blacktail and Tar12
We are not trying to pick on you or come down on you to hard but what you described is very abnormal and you need to figure out what is going on before something goes very wrong.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I’ll stick to small fires until I can get a better look at that.
Small fires are not nessecarily good either if you are not getting things up to proper temps you can end up with allot of creosote buildup quickly.

I’m a cook and no stranger to wood burning appliances. I didnt just drag this thing in. It’s been sitting around and I’ve been looking at it for 5 years. I’ve read everything I could find and watched a thousand YouTube videos.
Ever since I got her hooked up Friday morning I did five break in fires/ cool downs and than have been burning her a lot ever since.
I’m not doubting you have some knowledge about wood burning, but any stove has a learning curve. Every home and chimney is different, so no matter how many YouTube videos you watch can replace hooking it up and learning how it will react in your situation. Sounds like it simply over drafted to me.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
We are not trying to pick on you or come down on you to hard but what you described is very abnormal and you need to figure out what is going on before something goes very wrong.

Right on! I get that brother! I’m
Not trying to be a prick or anything either. I’m just saying this has only happened once when the fan was on, otherwise no other problems what so ever.. and I’m not trying to attack the fan on floor thing either. Just saying be careful when you try new variables like that. Keep an eye on it.

Reactions: bholler
I’m not doubting you have some knowledge about wood burning, but any stove has a learning curve. Every home and chimney is different, so no matter how many YouTube videos you watch can replace hooking it up and learning how it will react in your situation. Sounds like it simply over drafted to me.
That’s why I am sitting here learning her curves brother. I’ve been coaxing her over 90 hours.

Shutting down the air and damper will definitely calm an overfire/overdraft situation.

I know. The cold was coming quick, and they were threatening us with power outages and possible blizzard and extreme cold weather, so I just hooked the dang thing up, not exactly as I wanted, until spring/ shoulder is over.
I’m going to spring for the IR gun when I can.
Your best benefit-for-buck investment next spring will be insulation or air-sealing on the house. Then you can possibly upgrade to a larger budget stove for $500 or so, or even find a used stove that hasn't been over-fired for even cheaper. Of course, the insulated liner is probably going to be the biggest expense..
My guess as to how it could glow that quickly is that you lit off creosote in the pipe. When did you inspect it last?
Then again, how hard would it be to glow a 4" chimney pipe? _g
I got my eyes on this.
Good.
So how dry is your wood? Does a split light up on two sides within a couple minutes? After new splits have been burning fifteen minutes or more, and you open the door, do you hear hissing or see water bubbling out the ends of the splits?

I totally agree I should have replaced some windows and doors and thought more about insulation. Unfortunately the chicken coop and getting the house up to livable standards took top priority. It’s on my the back burner.

Eventually I would like at least one other stove. Especially if I get the family room addition I want.. a wood burning oven in the kitchen would be flipping wicked sweet too.
Different stoves for different parts of the shoulders and head.

4” singlewall ss from a casted brick of iron gets hot.

Splits light in a couple of seconds. No hissing or sapping.

Edit #2. Duct tape is my best friend.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I totally agree I should have replaced some windows and doors and thought more about insulation. Unfortunately the chicken coop and getting the house up to livable standards took top priority. It’s on my the back burner.

Eventually I would like at least one other stove. Especially if I get the family room addition I want.. a wood burning oven in the kitchen would be flipping wicked sweet too.

Yes the pipe will get hot but it should be kept below 500.

Reactions: TWilk117

Edit #3. I do have a liner and insulation. This ain’t a slammer.