The fan on the floor trick OVERFIRE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah and 600 surface pipe temp is to high. 900 is way to high
Just curious, what would be the flue exhaust temp be to get black pipe glowing?
(using probe thermometers)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Just curious, what would be the flue exhaust temp be to get black pipe glowing?
(using probe thermometers)

Internal is usually close to double surface

Internal is usually close to double surface
Thanks for the reply. Wasn't exactly what I was wondering. I was curious of the temperature for steel to glow red. Assuming black pipe is just painted steel; 1000F flue gas could start a faint red. And 1300F gets the steel cherry red. Damn.

I'm glad I have a probe thermometer. I keep my fires below 900F flue temp and never seen a pipe glowing.

Sounds like an over drafting situation since you are using a boat stove meant for short chimneys. I'm not knocking the tiny stove, I think it's cool. Perhaps a stove pipe damper would help your situation. I understand that money is tight, but ruining stove pipe is expensive. A magnetic pipe thermometer is also fairly inexpensive. I gave my spare to a friend to help them operate an antique late 1800's stove, otherwise I'd mail it to you.

Sounds like an over drafting situation since you are using a boat stove meant for short chimneys. I'm not knocking the tiny stove, I think it's cool. Perhaps a stove pipe damper would help your situation. I understand that money is tight, but ruining stove pipe is expensive. A magnetic pipe thermometer is also fairly inexpensive. I gave my spare to a friend to help them operate an antique late 1800's stove, otherwise I'd mail it to you.

Thanks SpaceBus, I appreciate the thoughtfulness. I agree that my draft may be a little too good. I do have a damper key.
I’m thinking about maybe installing 2 damper keys when I get some new pipes. However having the stove out more with elbows may solve the problem.
The 12” of 4” pipe coming off the stove was too tall to accommodate the adjustable elbow, so the stove is setting back in the fire box and vented straight up.
I couldn’t just cut that pipe shorter because since it transitions from oval to round it had some custom welds/ rivets on the seam to hold it together. So eventually I will be redoing things..
thanks again,
Tim

Edit: I can’t believe how much heat this thing cranks out. It is very powerful.

I’m so rude. I forgot to add a picture.

Attachments

• The fan on the floor trick OVERFIRE
    74FD4EFB-68D8-48AA-8883-D33B18C72872.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 153
I’m so rude. I forgot to add a picture.

I think you would see a lot of benefit in bringing it out into the room if clearances allow. I'm not sure how you convinced your insurance company to keep you insured. That's a really neat stove and I'm glad it's keeping you warm. I bet it's impossible to burn unseasoned wood, it's really difficult in ours with such a small firebox.

How do you keep firewood dry on a boat? I feel like wood is a problematic heating fuel for a boat.

Wow clearly that stove is not air tight at all

Reactions: blacktail
If I had a boat, I would have feed bags full of small chunks of wood.

I’m sure my boat would be rather on the small side, so I would probably have gotten the smaller Sardine. It’s 1/3 smaller than my Little Cod.

I don’t understand why this would be unapproved when this is a tiny stove that only burns when I am home. And compared to the Extreamly inefficient heatilator that would have gigantic fires in it every night and giant piles of hot coals that would last for days.... it’s a no brainer in my opinion.

I think it's actually EPA approved
That doesn't mean much other than it burns clean. There are lots of leaky impossible to control stoves that are epa compliant

Reactions: SpaceBus
That doesn't mean much other than it burns clean. There are lots of leaky impossible to control stoves that are epa compliant
It's probably easy to control based on how much fuel you load. It's definitely not a set it and forget it type stove, but it's also intended for a boat or camp. I think the stove will serve him well when he gets better at running it. That stove also wasn't cheap and I don't blame him for wanting to get some use out of it.

Reactions: TWilk117
View attachment 239220 When I had the fire place really rolling the heatilator vent on the side wall would make the knotty pine wood panel red hot to the touch..
how is running that safer?
The vent like that is completely unsafe and should be fixed even with a stove in there.

Yup, I agree...the small fan used to circulate the house air had exactly 0.000% chance of having anything to do with the overfire.
That's about like taking your car to the garage for an oil change and then complaining about their workmanship because your brakes are squealing on the way home...pure coincidence.

Oh okay, you meant the heatilator thing. It doesn’t get red hot with the stove rolling.
You might want to invest in an IR thermometer. This way you can identify areas that might be getting too hot because of natural convection.

Reactions: TWilk117