The Flavor this Fall!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I started bringing the red and white oak to the house today. The moisture content in the middle after being resplit is between 16 and 21 percent. This is using the cheap harbor freight 19.99 special. I think this will be a wonderful year with the hampton insert! The new door gasket should be here today as well! Soooooo, 3.5 plus cords of oak, 2 cords plus of ash, mix in some choke cherry and elm and I am still ahead for next year with 8.5 cords ready! Life is good! ;-)

burntime said:
I started bringing the red and white oak to the house today. The moisture content in the middle after being resplit is between 16 and 21 percent. This is using the cheap harbor freight 19.99 special. I think this will be a wonderful year with the hampton insert! The new door gasket should be here today as well! Soooooo, 3.5 plus cords of oak, 2 cords plus of ash, mix in some choke cherry and elm and I am still ahead for next year with 8.5 cords ready! Life is good! ;-)

Sounds like a great year!

I typically wait till the bean harvest before I start stacking any great quantity of wood in my "this year stack". Them dang little Asian beetle things, the lady bug looking ones, love the nice tight crevices that stacked firewood provide them for their winter home. I don't give them that chance.

Once harvest is over, I load the old wash house right next to MY house with the 5+ cords of stove chow for the season. It is a really neat yet unintended use for the 100 year old building. I have a home built 2 wheel cart that I load from the wash house and walk 6 ft into the attached garage. Gives me a couple of days worth of burning that I don't have to slip shoes on to get. :)

Nope, no pine. I think this will be the best year ever for burning wood. The oak was cust 2 springs ago and cust and stacked summer of 08. Now I gotta start hustling to get more wood! :)

Jags said:
I typically wait till the bean harvest before I start stacking any great quantity of wood in my "this year stack". Them dang little Asian beetle things, the lady bug looking ones, love the nice tight crevices that stacked firewood provide them for their winter home. I don't give them that chance.

Once harvest is over, I load the old wash house right next to MY house with the 5+ cords of stove chow for the season. It is a really neat yet unintended use for the 100 year old building. I have a home built 2 wheel cart that I load from the wash house and walk 6 ft into the attached garage. Gives me a couple of days worth of burning that I don't have to slip shoes on to get. :)

Ya Jags, that is the worst about bean time; the beetles. They love the white siding on our house. We have found they do not like lemon and have tried a few times mixing lemon scented dish soap with water and spraying. It works; sort of. Not as well as we'd like. They get into the smallest crack and then a warm day during winter they come out of the woodwork. Crazy. My wife saves a yogurt cup, puts a little dishsoap in the bottom and just knocks them into the cup; dead beetles.

burntime said:

How old is the gasket? Didn't you just purchase last year?

Its about 3 years old. Have adjusted it until there are no washers left to adjust it. I thought it was BS to be bad already being 7/8 inch too... I called the local dealer and they wanted to soak me 75 bucks plus for it...MSG gave me the name of a hardware store in Colorado...19 bucks later I have 2 kits minus the stove cement...Life is good!

burntime said:
Its about 3 years old. Have adjusted it until there are no washers left to adjust it. I thought it was BS to be bad already being 7/8 inch too... I called the local dealer and they wanted to soak me 75 bucks plus for it...MSG gave me the name of a hardware store in Colorado...19 bucks later I have 2 kits minus the stove cement...Life is good!

Good deal, keep us up to date on how the install goes. I may be doing this in 2 more burn seasons :)

Its Mcgukins in Colorado. Its a local hardware store with GREAT service! I bought 2 so that I won't have to remember the name I forgot! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.