The great pine cone experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Finally decided to throw some in the stove as a wood source and not a firestarter. Just trying to take the chill off. Worked surprisingly well. I just gathered a bunch from outside, packed the stove and lit with a match. They probably could have been better seasoned, but still did OK. Putting out some decent heat for the last hour or so. Next load I may pay attention to collecting dry ones, and stepping on them prior to loading to get more in the stove.

Reactions: D8Chumley
This was a banner year for pine cones and acorns in our neck of the woods . . . I collected a bag or two to season and use as future fire starters.

There is actually a developing market for acorns. Folks are using them to finish off feeding pigs prior to slaughter. The claim is the meat is much higher quality and healthier as it has higher percentage of Omega 3. When chestnuts were the dominant species on the east coast, chestnuts apparently were major feed for pigs in the mountains.

There is actually a developing market for acorns. Folks are using them to finish off feeding pigs prior to slaughter. The claim is the meat is much higher quality and healthier as it has higher percentage of Omega 3. When chestnuts were the dominant species on the east coast, chestnuts apparently were major feed for pigs in the mountains.

I have a habit of collecting them and then planting them on my property . . . comes from growing up on land that had very few oak trees for whatever reason.

My place in New Hampshire is north of the "oak line" which lines up roughly with US Rt 2. Oaks are starting to show up along the river valleys and in sheltered sunny spots but they are still rare. I think if someone plants a sapling they seem to make it , but expect they dont tend to sprout from seeds half as well. I expect as the climate get milder the oaks will be moving in.

the way pine cones burn when using for a starter i would have expected a red stove. to me i figured it would be like packing the stove with cardboard.:eek: