The Last fire of the season. How much did you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still burning here.

Burnt about 7 cords of subparwood (and found alot of leaks in the house... it's going to be a busy summer)

Burnt about $100 of oil for heat, the rest went for hot water.

I don't use my natural gas furnace....it is only back up. So.......if it gets cold in the house, I burn. I will admit though, I have let a lot of fires go out this winter. But when it drops to 69 in the house, there is a fire in this house. I will only burned about 3 cords though this winter.

I have burned only about two cords of mixed hardwoods. I have been trying to keep the stove going as much as my schedule allows, so the weather hasn't slowed me down too much. I guess my estimate of four cords a year was a little high. I started out the winter with about 13 cords of firewood and figured I was three years ahead. Now after adding nothing new to the stacks over the winter I have 11 cords, but I may be four or five years ahead! I wonder how much farther ahead I can get if I keep doing nothing.

I've burned around 3-3.5 cords so far, still 24/7 burning here. Highs are only in the 20s, lows single digit or below zero. Porbably close to a month left till the snow is gone.

Im done. They are calling for 70's here for the next 2 weeks. My neighbor wanted wood for a bonfire over the weekend so I gave him the 1/2 face cord that was still on the porch. Total burning was around 1 cord of silver maple, and 1 cord of hackberry with a little oak mixed in on the cold nights.....what few we had here in Indiana.

The burning season is never really "finished" in my neck of the woods. We sometimes get a chilly and dark rainy day during June, July or August. On those days I fire up the woodstove to remove a damp chill from the air. The burning stove will create a warm and pleasant environment inside the house without overheating or burning too much wood. This is when I mostly use "cookies, chunks, and splitter trash" left over from the bucking and splitting.

Sometime during May I use fiberglass insulation to stop-off the Outside Air Intake at it entrance to the house. This prevents bees and other critters from setting up house inside my Outside Air Kit. Removing a 4" panel from the rear of the Spectrum's pedestal allows me to burn inside air. A nearby window slightly open allows for the exchange of outside and house air. :coolsmile:

Ain't life grand!

tfdchief said:
I don't use my natural gas furnace....it is only back up. So.......if it gets cold in the house, I burn. I will admit though, I have let a lot of fires go out this winter. But when it drops to 69 in the house, there is a fire in this house. I will only burned about 3 cords though this winter.

Ditto on this. I have probably gone through 4 cords since October, continuous burn heating a little over 2k ft2. Still have 2.5 laying low. I am sure this season was a fluke, we will get hit hard next season. Time to start chopping and splitting!

This was my first year burning and I went through 2.5 cords. I have a 100 year old 1600sq ft colonial that is fairly tight but has no insulation in the walls...although it has plenty in the attic!

This forum's advice told me to plan for 4 cords for an average winter without relying on the gas boiler. I would say they are about right. The 2.5 cords I went through was all oak and was not ideally seasoned....it was in the low-mid 20's for moisture.

I'll end up paying about $225 for heat this winter for the gas boiler, which is about 10-15% of the previous winters without a woodstove. I imagine if I were a more seasoned burner that had perfected my techniques and had very dry wood I probably gone through 3 cords without running the heat at all.

So kudo's to you guys who said 4 cords for the average winter and 5 for a very cold winter....I think you're spot on!

I'm done burning. I don't have wood that's ready and I don't have the time to scrounge for ready wood to bump up the temp a few degrees. Just the heat lamps for my spring chicks is heating half the house. I'll plug in the electric heater if needed.

DanCorcoran said:
"The Engineer came out in me....Lots of averages here and some stretching of true numbers. Maybe I’ll keep a tally next winter for better analyzation."

...for better analysis. (Sorry, the English major came out in me). :)

I live in Oklahoma. If you can type a word then its a word. LOL. I knew it sounded funny but I was sleepy at the time.

Since I originally posted this last week our indoor temp has ranged from 66 to 72 degrees. Last night the low was something like 63 and today it could get over mid 80's.

I'm jealous of the summers you northerners have. Our A/C usually kicks on in May and doesn't shut off until the end of October. Last year I had a $400 electric bill one month. There really isn't any way around it like there is heating with wood in the winter. Our utility costs per year are around $2K with $100/month in months without a/c and $200 - $400/month in summer a/c months.

Heating a 2400 sq ft 1840 farmhouse, between my Quad and my Esse cook stove, 4.5 cords. Still have 3 cords left.

Have burned about 3.25 cords so far this year. Will soon start using "cookies, chunks and splitter trash" (CCST) to take the chill off during the day. We have a slight drop in temperature and heavy rain arriving in about two hours. Will use the first CCST burn of the season to remove the damp chill from the air. I'm excited about the transition into this modified burning season.

Since my last post over a week ago it has continued to be very warm. Several days in the 80's already with only a couple days that caused my heater to kick on for a few minutes. Nothing worth starting the fire over because as soon as the fire box got warm enough to turn on the fan I'd have been burned out of the house.

I have turned my attention to cleaning the liner which I will do this weekend and beginning to gather 2015/16 wood.

probably not quite finished yet but have not had to burn
for the last 8 days,up to now about 3 cords,maybe another
1/4 before I let the heat pump take over full time.

The end is near. I cleaned out the ashes, cleaned the glass, and made what I think will be my last morning fire. From now on it will just be a few evening fires as they are forecasting above freezing overnight temps. The snow is melting fast.
Not a lick of snow left anywhere now so the snowman's prediction was spot on.

The wife asked for a fire today as it is raining and damp. This is the first fire since the 11th.

BTW, my original link to the snowman broke with the upgrade. Here it is again.
the_end_is_near.jpg

Reactions: MasterMech
I was wondering why this winter seemed so cold to me when so many others are talking about how warm it is. This explains it: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/northwest-still-chillin-in-march/63098

winter.jpg

It turns out this winter has been colder than average where I am (Seattle area) and the west coast in general has been average or cooler than average. In most of the rest of the country it has been warmer or much warmer than average.

I'm sure it's warming up, but it's still cold.

I still have one big fire to go. I was planning to burn down my huge brush pile before the snow went but it melted so fast I didn't get around to it and then they banned burning. It rained last night and today so I put a call in to our Fire Chief to see if I can burn it down tomorrow.

Still burning after all these weeks. And will be for awhile it seems. Wood shed is down to the last row of doug fir.

Very few houses have A/C here. If it's warm in the house, just need to open a window. :)

There have been a few summers that the heat never got turned off.

I wish it was the end of the burning season here, but we had a huge snowstorm here in the PNW this week, and I have 6 inches of white still melting on my property. I hope I do not have to burn into June like I did last year... nuclear winters here in the PNW lately, colder and wetter than average. We had a warm February, and then 60 degree temps in early March, and then snow, then 60 degree temps again, and then more snow... and again off and on warm and snow... now its 51 and the snow is melting, but will we get more this 'winter'?

I have burned about 3 cords so far this year of mostly hardwood: maple, cherry, birch, and a half cord of black locust that I got for free from a tree butcher that needed to clear out his woodshed for next year. I am now burning through a half cord of doug fir that I got last year from a couple that cut their yard trees down. Most all the wood I cut last spring intending to burn this year is still green, as we had virtually no summer here last year and it rained though July and started up in late September. No time or heat for the wood to dry properly. So I will be burnign that stiff next year... if it ever dries out.

Forecast for 30's and some 20's next week so we're not done yet here in the northeast, have plenty of wood left so its not a problem, I look forward to lighting my baby up.

I am calling it a year in vermont. Will let the propane get the cobwebs off over the next couple weeks as needed. Never ever ran a pellet stove or woodstove after april 15th here. Just sucked it up and saved wood for another year. There is a value to that. Temps are expected to get in 20s some nights coming up. Aint scared.
Thanks for all the advice and great comments. I enjoy reading the.

91 degrees was the high yesterday !. Low last night was only 68 degrees. House was 76 degrees at 830pm so we opened the windows and ran the attic fan after it cooled off. Cooled the house to 70 degrees in 30 minutes or so.

Almost had to turn the A/C on.

Status
Not open for further replies.