The poplar that will not die!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhaill

Feeling the Heat
Nov 15, 2007
The deep end
We were given a free load of poplar in large rounds in May of 2007.
This is that same poplar in June of 2008- after it had been lying on the ground in my back yard for 13 months!
It was still sprouting!
DSC03124.JPG

We split some of it last month and it still read nearly 40% moisture!
Answered once and for all whether or not unsplit wood seasons- not this stuff.
Not even a little.

DSC03125.JPG

Obviously we will not be using this wood for at least another year, but I thought it quite remarkable that it was able to hang on this long and still keep trying to live.
If I were to plant one of these rounds do you think it would root?
I absolutely do- magnificient survival mechanism!

split it already.....and yea, get it off the ground, (probably starting to rot on that side already) &
that'll be the last sapling you see.

It will rot before next season. split it now and burn it in the spring. I just had to chuck a bunch of popular cause it was rotting.

We got it off the ground as these photos were taken in June, and the sprouts continued.
I had never seen anything like that and was convinced I had magical wood- don't burst my bubble.
I am expecting psychadelic hallucinations as I watch them burn next year.

cool glad its up, kind of sad though, if you think about it.. its like that Monty Python skit .....chanting "Bring out your dead".
Like the tree is telling you " I ain't dead yet!" in an old british accent.

speaking of psychadelics......i have white oak, dead and standing for jsut over a year.
i cut it, stacked the logs off the ground end of the summer, within a week, loads of mushrooms/fungus growing on every round, all sides, some of the logs
just look like weird mushy lumps and unusable.. kind of odd, geuss the tree was loaded with water or something.

look at this way, your wood is trying to make you more wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.